Hard Synths
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Synths

Default Hard Synths

Any of you guys use hard synths? I am thinking about going after a Virus TI2. Anyone have any input?

Awesome piece of gear. It's already been on my wishlist for so long!
    But probably, for production purposes, most people work mostly "in the box" (inside the computer without hardware).
    In the DJing area it's rarely seen even though it's a great performance tool especially if you're very good at playing the piano!
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

The virus series are great digital synths, however the Ti2 is a ripoff and not worth the money imo. You can get a Ti1 for several hundred less that does the exact same thing. The "25% more power" is really negligible and for all intents and purposes they are the same synth. Even the ti1 desktop used for around $1000-$1200 is a bit steep, but it's a good general purpose hardware synth. If you don't care about Ti control and the usb soundcard then a Virus C is probably a much better deal.

I enjoyed mine the short time I had it but my hardware interests have changed and as I got more into modular don't really miss it- you can get all the same sounds from software but I'm sure you know that and it's not why you're looking at it. While the Ti is very hands on I still found there was a bit of menu diving and it was quicker to do some stuff in the software. I can't see myself buying another hardware digital synth at this point- there's much more interesting analog stuff coming out every day, and if I need polyphonic sounds I'll just use Zebra or Diva...

The new elektron analog 4 is sure to be damn cool and sounds pretty awesome, plus will have built in hardware sequencer for tons of awesomeness.

perhaps the strangest synth marketing ever...

oh hector...

pretty much all my synth purchases now go towards eurorack modules but I have a x0xb0x (tb 303 clone) on my to build list and that elektron analog four looks really cool. I have a weak spot for hardware synths with built in sequencers, which is really the only way to have fun with them for the type of stuff I like at least.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-15-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Nord lead 2 or 3 virus b Waldorf q biofield I personally haven't used but do know they have issues of course a jp8080 or 8000 if you want the full Keyboard

Also if you are looking at running synths without a computer look into a mc808 or mc909 to use as a workstation to control your synths

The korg monotribe and all thoose are very great since they are 100% analogue downside no midi but can get a midi mod for the monotribe honestly thing is beasty as fuck

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    The korg monotribe and all thoose are very great since they are 100% analogue downside no midi but can get a midi mod for the monotribe honestly thing is beasty as fuck
    you dont need a midi mod to midi sync a monotribe, just an extra out put on a drum machine or soundcard. trigger a very short click on the 16ths going to the tribes input.

as far as input goes - rather get the analog 4. tried a couple different models of virus at GC and none of them ever made a big enough impression on me to save my pennies, while elektron, well my MD is hands down my favorite drum machine ive ever owned... so me personally im already saving for that.

Not really getting the comparison between drum machine and a synth...

PS - thanks for the info on the Elektron. While what seems to be a lack of knobs on it sort of turns me off, I'll keep an open mind, as good polysynth sound engineering is what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast