DIY Arcade Mod Kit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DIY Arcade Mod Kit

I'm about to do the Arcade Mod to my silver VCI-100, but I'm wondering about the holes, what should I ask for at the machine shop? Should they punch, drill, water cut or plasma cut the holes? I don't want to mess this up...
    Last edited by Fiffi; 07-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.

A good machinist could do it with a stepped drill piece but you leave less margin for error if a computer is making the cuts - so id go with something like getting them water cut.

Banned

Bento do you have any idea what one should expect to pay to get the cuts done?

Tech Wizard

You don't need to go to a machinist to make your holes.

Use a metal drill 3mm to make few little holes, and with a good file, finish the hole and put your button on it !

Tech Wizard

Good tip. Anyone else have experience of holemaking (machine shop or home made)?
    I tried my Dremel for a few minutes but it merely scratched the surface... :-(

Tech Wizard

Be careful !

I make mine myself with a dremel

How I made ...

First I have put my arcade button overlay on the VCI, and trace holes with a pen.

After I make some little near holes (metal drill 4 mm), and finish the work with a file.

Tech Wizard

I went to the hardware store and picked up a round file. It worked great.

I traced the holes on the 2.2 overlay using a permanent marker.

The Sanwa buttons have a diameter of 24 mm but the holes in the overlay are about 26 mm. The marker was almost 1 mm wide, so when filing the holes I made sure to not file down the marked area.

It took about an hour to make all 8 holes, I was really careful and tried the buttons in place all the time to make sure they fit. I made one hole too large, nothing serious, I just used some electrical tape to fix the button in place. All in all, super simple if you want to do your own holes and save a few bucks. (Please note that I do not guarantee that you will succeed. You do this at your own risk).
    Last edited by Fiffi; 07-26-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Tech Wizard

Wiring the arcade buttons, I seem to miss the red wire mentioned in Ean's YouTube video (pictured left). Probably because my VCI-100 is the silvery version (pictured right). Can anyone confirm that the ground wire is in the same place as on the SE? (The first wire on the far right).

EDIT: I found the answer to the grounding issue here: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ghlight=ground
    My silver VCI-100 didn't have the red ground wire but it's in the same spot (far right on the picture)

Last edited by Fiffi; 08-06-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Tech Wizard

I used the diodes from the original buttons. It's a pain to desolder them but it saves you a trip to the store. Hmm, I wonder if they are really needed...

Everything works like a charm, thanks!
    Last edited by Fiffi; 07-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Ok where is the GROUND:
    1.On ean`s video its on the LEFT.
    2.On this picture its on the RIGHT. http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/att...5&d=1223588802
    3. Bento said it`s on the LEFT

So its on the LEFT(2 to 1)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast