Hey all, quick question about Traktor Scratch and external mixers.
    Tech Mentor

Default Hey all, quick question about Traktor Scratch and external mixers.

So after using an S4 for about a year, ive started to miss mixing on a proper setup (seems to be a trend amongst S4 owners). The S4 is great, I still plan on using for mobile gigs, but I was thinking about investing into a Xone 42, some second hand Technics, and an Audio 8 for timecode.

I know that the Xone mixers arent scratch certified, hence why I included the Audio 8, but my question is, how is the work flow within this setup? Any owners of this particular config?

Also, if I were to invest in a Pioneer mixer or even a DB4(small chance of that lol), how do the built effects work?
    Are they still functional even through the Audio 8? Any other tips before I make the plunge?

How does it work you ask ?

The timecode vinyl has a unique sound on it, that travels to the inputs of the soundcard. There some NI black magic happens and the software is told where exactly the needle is on the record, so in wich part of the song you are at. Then if you want to the software will play back that song, just like with your S4 but it knows exactly which part to play in relation to the vinyl. Then the audio travels back to the soundcard but now to the audio outputs wich lead to your mixers inputs. For the mixer it's just another sound coming that just might as well be coming from a TT of CDJ. So ALL mixer functionality is retained. All effects, EQs etc are all available + what you do in traktor with EQs or effects also affects the sound.
    For example you can mix with the EQs of your mixer but use traktors effects if you want.

Man, if you can afford this setup I'd get it. It's the most fun setup I ever had. I have a scratch certified mixer and technics at the moment and I love it. Mostly because I can play all the music on my laptop but have it off to the side and not look at. Much more immersive. Also something you might want to know is that I can mix in real vinyl any time I want during a traktor scratch set. I can switch it up on the fly and then come back to the software whenever I want.

Did I explain it okay ? If you have more questions just ask.

Tech Convert

Hey man, you can use 2 turntables and the S4, have you thought about that? S4 works with timecode as it is sorta traktor scratch certified.

And have you tried mapping the S4 with the Traktor settings with 4 band EQ? Could be just what you're looking for!!

Quote Originally Posted by kri1987 View Post
    Hey man, you can use 2 turntables and the S4, have you thought about that? S4 works with timecode as it is sorta traktor scratch certified.

And have you tried mapping the S4 with the Traktor settings with 4 band EQ? Could be just what you're looking for!!
    I don't think he's particularly after a 4 band EQ as the Xone 42 only has a 3 band EQ.

But yeah, 2 x Technics, mixer, and an X1 is ideal. I love it.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

^X1 is ideal if you want to get the most out of your traktor.

I don't have it and I don't miss it. I want traktor scratch to emulate real vinyl mixing and keep the laptop hardly involved. So in a way I kinda prefer not to have one.

And I would advise against keeping the S4, I had one for almost a year and while the hardware/software integration is second to none it is quite dull to mix on. Also I miss proper level indicators. And nobody wants to be that guy that shows up to an important gig asking to put the CDJs aside to make room for his S4.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    ^X1 is ideal if you want to get the most out of your traktor.

I don't have it and I don't miss it. I want traktor scratch to emulate real vinyl mixing and keep the laptop hardly involved. So in a way I kinda prefer not to have one.

And I would advise against keeping the S4, I had one for almost a year and while the hardware/software integration is second to none it is quite dull to mix on. Also I miss proper level indicators. And nobody wants to be that guy that shows up to an important gig asking to put the CDJs aside to make room for his S4.
    I disagree, the X1 stops me from having to lean over to browse through tracks/playlists with the touch pad of the laptop which keeps it nice and out the way.

And yeah, the level indicators on the S4 are proper wank, they're more for style rather than actual useful feedback. Mixing real vinyl on them is a pain in the arse for matching levels. Nothing like a real mixer, the S4 felt very unsturdy to me (although others would disagree). It's a great controller, but definitely has its flaws. The size was another issue for me. That and that it isn't the same height as Technics/CDJs.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

the fx work better if you can set up post effects on your mixer. Post-fader effects allow for just the tail end of a delay to be heard when you bring down the volume fader, for example.

I love external mixers with Traktor. The PFL meters alone are worth it to me in the enhanced precision when cueing up tracks
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

do it, you'll never look back.

Controllers are great n' all, but for the most part they do not have the build or sound quality to compare them next to a top quality mixer.

+1 on the X1 too. I have two, one for each set of decks
    I usually use 3&4 totally digital on the X1, sync 'em up and get busy. Andy C eat your heart out
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

All effects, EQs etc are all available + what you do in traktor with EQs or effects also affects the sound.
    For example you can mix with the EQs of your mixer but use traktors effects if you want.

Man, if you can afford this setup I'd get it. It's the most fun setup I ever had. I have a scratch certified mixer and technics at the moment and I love it. Mostly because I can play all the music on my laptop but have it off to the side and not look at. Much more immersive. Also something you might want to know is that I can mix in real vinyl any time I want during a traktor scratch set. I can switch it up on the fly and then come back to the software whenever I want.

Did I explain it okay ? If you have more questions just ask.
    Awesome thank you. I was more concerned with how the routing is handled. I obviously wanted to keep Traktor just for the FX, so im glad it can be retained. I have loads of vinyl that id like to play as well, so the comfort of using it when I want to without trouble is nice to know too.

Quote Originally Posted by kri1987 View Post

I know its a certified mixer, how ever the appeal of my wanted setup is the A&H mixer. Ive played on quite a few of em before I took a break and it was bliss. Also, would getting Traktor Scratch inhibit anything on the S4? Im obviously using Traktor Pro 2, but is Scratch the same as Pro 2?

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    But yeah, 2 x Technics, mixer, and an X1 is ideal. I love it.
    That was another item that I was gonna mention. I'll definitely be picking one up. Not just for basic control of tracks but for FX use as well.

Yeah, I thought about it. Ill still keep it around though, its not a huge ordeal to setup around here, and its still quite a unit. I might reconsider if I find I dont use it as much as I think I might.