Need advice on DJ setup for noob DJ.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need advice on DJ setup for noob DJ.

hey guys, i have a few questions on the gear i should buy and if im making the right choices.

First off, im brand new to DJing. In fact ive never actually touched a CDJ or a controller of anything besides messing around on virtual Dj ,but Ive taken a strong interest in wanting to be a DJ. Ive been doing a lot of research on hard/software on the internet and Ive got an idea of what i want to get. Now keep in mind that Im on a very tight budget and will probably have to save up for every piece individually due to not having a consistent flow of money but i plain to have a job soon.

Anyways i figured the best controller i can get would be the Mixtrack pro due to the low price and descent reliability.

Software wise i was thinking traktor pro because from what ive herd it feels more professional and has more effects.

Finally i was thinking of getting a midi fighter classic to help me with effects and creating build-ups and stuff.

of course ill need a laptop but what about speakers? can i just use any ol' speakers i have for now? or am i going to have to go out and buy really expensive ones just to dj in my room for now? what else will i need besides headphones?

If you have any recommendations on anything such as things im leaving out or different soft/hardware i should use please let me know your opinion. thankyou , nick...

Tech Mentor

Mixtrack Pro
    Traktor Pro
    A pair a Behringer 215Ds
    Mac Book Pro or Macbook from http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Notebooks_s/5.htm

And everything will work out fine assuming you daisy chain your speakers together

Tech Guru

save your money on a midifighter if you are just starting out. You can do plenty with a mixtrack....in fact, I'd probably use the money for a midi fighter for a better controller that will last you.

My advice to you is learn the basics first. Learn to beat match, learn music theory and phrasing tracks before spending money on something that you press a button just to get an effect.

What's your budget?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    learn the basics first.
    Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    save your money on a midifighter
    Do you contradict yourself on purpose or that's just some kind of temporary brain disfunction ?

You're right though, basics are important. To be honest, you don't need anything else than solid basics to be a decent DJ. No one really cares (beside yourself) about an ubber transition with 3 tracks and 12 samples layered with 4 different FX and stuff.

PS : Not that I want to diss the midifighter, but get your mixing right before starting to even look at such toys. It can be fun, but that's more some kind of fantasy than a real game changer. Please don't even google "midifighter" in your first 6 months of DJing, or you will be tempted by shiny buttons you won't even know who to use properly.

Tech Guru

^ "save your money" = don't spend your money on a midi fighter, learn the basics first.

I think we're saying the same things
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

You have it right with step one... doing lots of homework... you want to check things for not only the good reviews but also frequent problems or inconsistancies. One of the worst things to have happen is have brand new equipment but at the gig something doesn't work.
    Everyone has what works for them, though the same set-up might not work for you. Having an idea of where you may want to go musically will help. Different styles of music have equipment that works and sounds best for that genre. Also provide yourself with room to grow, the midi-fighter is an excellent example of doing that.
    The speakers... well I cut some corners and purchased Harbinger Speakers from Guitar Center... and while they got me through my gigs I felt there was something missing so I added a sub. Later as the money flowed better I purchased new speakers. Both times I sought out to get the best bang for the buck. I found that Alto makes a speaker series (Trusonic - also avail. at Guitar Center) that sound exceptional and are very competitive with some of the more expensive brands. Think about how large the venues are that you would like to gig at and make sure you won't have to clip out the speakers to fill the room.
    If you are going with Traktor software you are making a great choice, it is a leader in the industry and is innovating from a performance dj stand point and provides many powerful and comprehensive tools for progressive dj's. For a controller, think about the full integration with the Kontrol S2 or S4... they are built for the software and will come complete with integrated mapping, other controllers may have mapping for Traktor, though they are built with the software "in mind". One thing a new dj may want to avoid is a controller that they will have to figure out how to map it properly to get the most out of the hardware.
    I have tried a few different controllers from a few different brands and by far the Traktor S2 has been the most powerful, reliable and exciting tool to dj with. Providing both a powerful and comprehensive software paired with a controller built to link the dj to those tools for and exciting performance for both you and your audience.
    One final note... once you start djing there will be no end to what more you want... welcome to the begining of a life long love.

regarding the question about buying speakers and or using the computer speakers you already have....

i have to PLEAD with you my friend.
    REALLY REALLY REALLY PLEASE.... take the time to learn how to cue and mix completely in your headphones.

for many years i have been seeing way too many djs never know how to do this and to me its frustrating.
    Doing this is so important, i cant say it with enough conviction.

I have played at many clubs in NJ and NYC and if the monitor in the dj booth isnt working
    the dj blames his poor performance on that.

?!?!WHAT?!?!
    the perpose of a dj monitor is to have the sound right there in your booth because the PA speakers for the dance floor are usually a few dozen feet away. You get lots of sound reflection so your timing will be off.

If you are djing in your headphones...... you cant get any speakers closer then that

on the midifighter thing, it is probably best to wait to see if another piece of kit will fit your intention with mixing better. for me however, I needed buttons almost right away. I think one of the most exciting part of digital djing is the ability to cue point juggle, the buttons for doing this on the S4 are not nearly as nice feeling as the arcade buttons and running a hybrid map that allows me to cue point juggle or use effects is great.

you can get by on computer speakers, or a home stereo if monitors are out of your price range, especially just starting out. getting a nice set of headphones is something you will take with you every where. don't skimp because you will wind up buying better later, if you decide djing isn't your thing, you will still probably appreciate the headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by rdale View Post
    on the midifighter thing, it is probably best to wait to see if another piece of kit will fit your intention with mixing better. for me however, I needed buttons almost right away. I think one of the most exciting part of digital djing is the ability to cue point juggle, the buttons for doing this on the S4 are not nearly as nice feeling as the arcade buttons and running a hybrid map that allows me to cue point juggle or use effects is great.

you can get by on computer speakers, or a home stereo if monitors are out of your price range, especially just starting out. getting a nice set of headphones is something you will take with you every where. don't skimp because you will wind up buying better later, if you decide djing isn't your thing, you will still probably appreciate the headphones.
    Why is everyone talking about a midifighter.. Get the kid djing and learning phrases and good song selection first. Midifighter is a controllerist style and honestly doesn't work that well unless your really really good at it.

Mixtrack pro ---> traktor S4, denon mc6000 ---> midifighter/ traktor f1/ technics/cdj.

First learn the basics, then get creative with some simple effects and samples, after that choose your own style. Do you want be be a controllerist, turntablist or maybe you will like cdj's? I saw a lot of people on this forum evoluate like this. My last tip: Keep it simple and don't overuse the effects!

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast