Ableton+TriggerFinger User wants to go Traktor Route - advice ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ableton+TriggerFinger User wants to use Traktor + cue point juggling. Any advice ??

Hey all,

I'm currently running an ableton live setup using a Trigger Finger with the Effectrix VST to trigger my effects however I can't do cue point juggling like Traktor.

I love triggering the effects however I KNOW i'll love cue point juggling that much more.

That being said I guess i'm just wondering if my fellow DJTT brethren have any advice for being able to accomplish both ??

I also just returned my audio 4 DJ so that I could upgrade to the audio 8 DJ with Traktor scratch pro bundle (eventually I want to integrate my turntable for cutting).

Thoughts? Advice? Setup Examples?

anything CONSTRUCTIVE helps

many thanks as always
    ~ eric
    Last edited by metaverse; 07-22-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    All we ever have is now ...

not too familiar with the technical aspects of the TF, but can you change scenes easily?

my thought is that in Scene 1 you'd have it setup to control cue points, EQ, the like. in Scene 2 you could have the fx controls.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

There is a "memory recall" button that allows me to select between 16 "pages".

Each of the 16 pads is labeled as P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 ... P16.

By pressing memory recall and then pressing one of the 16 pads I will select a new mapping of the pads.

Currently its setup so that P1 is for start-stopping clips on track 1 and track 2.

P2 is setup so that the 16 pads are assigned to trigger the effects within the effectrix VST.

not sure what the problem is then :P

P1 controls the 16 cue points on deck A and deck B.

P2 controls effects.

you want to do both at the same time without having to switch?

I think I might have been a little weak on describing my mission statement ...

I dont have traktor right now. I'm only using ableton live. I do not know how to use traktor , I dont even know if anyone uses a trigger finger with traktor successfully or not.

In ableton I'm assuming you can do cue point juggling like in traktor however I have no clue how to do it , if you even can.

Ideally what i'd like to be able to do is to , as you mentioned, do both at the same time without having to switch. whether I can do that with just ableton or with both traktor and ableton I'm not sure.

So in the end, you're right , I want to be able to both cue point juggle and trigger effects without having to switch pages (ideally).

However if I had to choose i'd rather ONLY being able to cue point juggle in traktor with a trigger finger and be able to just use the traktor effects. The effectrix VST is cool and there are some cool effects that I really love being able to throw in there but its just not enough for me.
    Last edited by metaverse; 07-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.

well the trigger finger is midi-mappable, so it will work with traktor (ideally) and control whatever you assign it to.

if you're cool with having your knobs control the effects, then you can set this up without having to switch pages.

you have 16 pads, and in Traktor Pro, there are 8 assignable cue points per deck. so you can assign each of these pads to control all the cue points on deck A and deck B.

you have 8 knobs, and in Traktor Pro there are 2 fx sections, which have 4 knobs on each. you can assign each on of these knobs to turn on each knob (since there are buttons below each knob, and you don't have buttons on the TF) when they're turned past the "0" position (don't know exactly how to do this, but i know someone in the forum does).

if you're having trouble understanding let me know and i'll try and clarify it for you.

NICE

Thanks alot for that mini walkthrough

With the 2 FX sections ... i'm assuming that 1 section is for one deck and the 2nd section is for the 2nd deck ??

Is it 2 instances of the same group of , 4 , effects ??

Are these effects built into Traktor Pro or can I import VST effects (I wish!) ??

i've uploaded some pics to help give you a better feel of what i'm talking about, it would be really hard to visualize otherwise :P

this is the "advanced fx" panel, where you choose 1 effect and 4 knobs to control different parameters of the effect. (notice the "1" on the left side, this tells you it is fx panel 1, and will come in handy in the third picture)

this is the "chained fx" panel, where you have 3 effects that are chained together, one knob controlling each, and one knob controlling the dry/wet of the entire panel. (notice the "2" on the left side)

this is in the mixer section, where you can assign panel 1 and 2 however you like to each deck. (deck A is on the left, deck B on the right). so you can have both panels on both decks, or only one deck, whatever you like.

traktor pro has a bunch of built in effects, like 15-20, all awesome. but no VST's

hope this helps!
    Last edited by djhipnotikk; 07-22-2009 at 05:04 PM.

hipnotikk, you're a legend!

metaverse, have you checked out the DJTT stuff about integrating Traktor and Ableton? I run them on different laptops and have a midi clock running from Traktor to Ableton, and use 2 sep controllers, outboarding them to 2 channels each on the mixer.

If you found a nifty way of switching between them, and you got urself an oxygen 8 v2 or something - you could do a similar sort of thing on the same laptop?

But, i recommend you read the bumf on integrating them on the same laptop - i think its by bentosan?

Welcome anyway

what can i say, i love traktor i think the trigger finger would be perfect for controlling tpro, too. the numbers just match up so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast