2 sound problems: HELP
    Tech Mentor

Default 2 sound problems: HELP

Hi, I have a problem. I made this track

But I have 2 problems:
    -> Th Master sound is TOO LOW and in can't increase the master fader witout it going red (oh and i also put a limiter on the master)

-> The drop is too low...

Tech Wizard

1.Try equing the bass out of everything but the drums and bass. Hopefully now you can turn it up more.
    2.Use automation to drop the volume maybe a couple of decibels in everything apart from the drop so it will sound louder in contrast to the rest of the track.
    3. Maybe compress the bass drum only on the drop to make it peak for longer.

Nice stuff.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MrPatrickDenny View Post
    1.Try equing the bass out of everything but the drums and bass. Hopefully now you can turn it up more.
    2.Use automation to drop the volume maybe a couple of decibels in everything apart from the drop so it will sound louder in contrast to the rest of the track.
    3. Maybe compress the bass drum only on the drop to make it peak for longer.

Nice stuff.
    Also it doesn't sound like you have enough high end.

You can tell why your drop doesn't have any volume just by looking at the waveform, the beginning of the track starts at max volume so there's nowhere else to go when you want more.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

-> That's for making the drop louder. ( i'm dividing every other sound by 2 by taking 3db of (a big thank you to my teacher in physics)

-> But how do i make the track louder. because with or without the limiter, each time i touch the master to increase the volume it goes red...

could not hear the song but my tips are:
    try mixing the song so that the loudest part of your song is peaking at -5 or -6 db
    do this by lowering the individual faders not the master.
    eqing each track will give you a lot of headroom.

adding a mastering chain effect once you are done will make your song "louder"

this are quick tips for getting a quick mastering experienve

Tech Mentor

@alchemy: That was a very useful comment I put all the individual faders at -6 db, The master isn't clipping anymore.
    BUT the sound is kind of low
    What is the mastering chain effect your talking about and where can i find it ?

the individual faders dont have to be at -6db, the important thing is that the master volume peaks (loudest instant volume level) at -6db, this means that the sum of all the sounds in your track in their highest point is -6db (I think every daw has in its master channel a display that shows the peak level). the individual tracks can have different sound volumes depending on what you have there. usually your main elements suck as the kick you will want to be at a level where the peak(not volume fader) of that channel is near -10 or -9db so that you have enough headroom for all the other elements. your bass might be at -11db, subbas -12 etc etc.
    as volume levels are added logarithmically -10db + -11db wont reach -6db(not going into physics here).

going back once you have your mixdown down, then and only then you can start adding effects to the master channel to make it louder. EQ-->Multiband Dynamics --> Exciters etc etc etc --> Limiter.

If you use ableton there should be a rack in the mastering rack sections of the effects that has a decent sounding mastering chain.

again, all the values I gave you are peak levels, not volume fader level. The volume fader for a channel can be set at 0db and the peak within that channel be -3db so, look at the peak values that are the ones that really show information.

anyways, i suggest you read more of this from another place where there explain it more thoroughly, this is a rough idea to give you hints on how mixing and mastering are done.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    could not hear the song but my tips are:
    try mixing the song so that the loudest part of your song is peaking at -5 or -6 db
    do this by lowering the individual faders not the master.
    eqing each track will give you a lot of headroom.

adding a mastering chain effect once you are done will make your song "louder"

this are quick tips for getting a quick mastering experienve
    this guy is correct. you have stuff too loud. a master should never need a limiter either. proper mixing before a master is all with EQ and volume limiting each channel. as said, leave -6db for mastering, then your track will get that nice loudness with mastering. maxing everything out doesnt make it all sound huge. get a spectrum analyzer ( SPAN plugin) and use it to see each channels spectrum and EQ accordingly.