Traktor ban... Start of a new trend?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor ban... Start of a new trend?

https://m.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=3421383953281

Quote Originally Posted by Spineless booking company
    So we've decided that all WIP events will be Traktor free from now on.

This decision is solely based on the hundreds of experiences (none positive) that we've had over the past 3 years with “artists” using Traktor, and on the equally large number of “suggestions” (aka complaints) from our public every time a Traktor “artist” fails to deliver.

Nothing against Native Instruments and their software, which is great, innovative, and an amazing tool, as are pretty much all of NI products (love Komplete, and Maschine). Yes, Traktor does crash every now and then but it has to do more with “artists” shitty setups, and beaten down laptops (CDJs and vinyl needles also can and do fail occasionally)

The real issue is with “artists” who swear they can play any format be it CD, vinyl, usb and or Traktor but whose Traktor sets are nothing but stale, bland and outright insulting to a paying crowd and promoter.

We've also grown tired of the endless issues with missing cables, problems with timecode (learn how to use your gear before you play out), taking up the previous Dj's time to set up your gear (cause you didn't want to come to the club early and set up your Traktor), how is it you play 5 times a week and still don't know how to set it up right?
    And, more importantly we're fed up with the general laziness shown by 99% of “artists” that we've seen and heard playing Traktor.

The problem is not only that you are lazy, but that you clearly show you have no idea whatsoever of how to build a set, read a crowd, work a track with your “special” efx controller, and that you play the same tracks that all of your buddies play (in the same order!) which makes you completely forgettable and interchangeable with any one of 10,000 Traktor Djs out there.

Once again, Traktor is a great idea and a very fun and useful tool, but unfortunately buying it doesn't magically turn you into a DJ, at least not a good one, and it doesn't come with instant music culture and/or instructions on how to do all the things that make a Dj and a performer good.

As open minded as we are with new technologies, it is clear that there is not and there will never be a replacement for taste, personality, experience and education; so , dear “artist” before you buy your copy of Traktor please make sure you acquire all of the above, then and only then will you deserve the attention and financial reward you so desperately crave, and will do this great software the justice it deserves.

To all Traktor “artists” who have a list of tracks you play in the same order at every gig regardless of what's going on on the dancefloor, who spend more time on Facebook on your iphones while your pre-arranged set plays on, who use the same effects on the same tracks that every other Traktor Dj is using the exact same way, you who use sync because you can't beat-match and stare at your computer screen ignoring the people who've paid to see you, thank you, but no thank you.
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.

I have no idea who that promoter/club is, but that is one of the most idiotic rants I've ever read before. To me it reads like "I have NFC how to book good talent so I'm going not going to book anyone using Traktor".

Traktor is the n00b's choice so I can sort of see where he's coming from.

EDIT - I should say that I'm a Traktor user myself, before anyone gets upset at that comment, but when you have software that auto-levels, auto-syncs etc. it's going to attract more lazy n00bs than similar software that doesn't do as much for you.

Ridiculous. Make your DJs do tryouts if you're not sure about them, don't just ban a piece of software cos you've hired people unscrupulously.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

that fine with me and I also see where they are comming from. But in the end they might be the once loosing in the end. Young people want whats hot on TV or Radio and you can't get that on vinyl so if you want to play those songs using vinyl you'll need Traktor Scratch or SSL.
    I know there are lots of (Traktor Virtual DJ *****) DJ's who thing all it takes is good songs(if you can rip it from youtube it's ok) and then just smashing away some beatmasher/ beatslicer preesets and your the mega star new DJ god.
    Pioneer CDJ's now have sync, beat counter, hotcue's, quantized loops, waveforms and lots more, so a DJ turning up with only a USB drive can realy do the same thing a Traktor DJ is acussed by them of doing.
    But WTF it's their club and they loose or win by doing what they do.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

I think the Company/Promoter admitting to booking people who don't know what they are doing speaks volumes to why they are having issues, but like in everything else its so easy to just blame a scapegoat and move on oh well, guess they'll learn

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

That's what happens when you book someone based on FB likes and such.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    That's what happens when you book someone based on FB likes and such.
    THIS. Booking based on a popularity contest won't bring good results... Sure, it might bring people to the show but they won't stay for long if the entertainment is crap.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    Pioneer CDJ's now have sync, beat counter, hotcue's, quantized loops, waveforms and lots more, so a DJ turning up with only a USB drive can realy do the same thing a Traktor DJ is acussed by them of doing.
    That's true, but is some n00b who wants the shortest route from A to B likely to buy a pair of high end CDJs over a cheap controller that comes with some version of Traktor? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    That's true, but is some n00b who wants the shortest route from A to B likely to buy a pair of high end CDJs over a cheap controller that comes with some version of Traktor? I don't think so.
    no but one could get Rekordbox do all the setup and analizing and still be using the cheep controller at home
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast