S4 and Turntables

Default S4 and Turntables

Was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for some turntables to be added to my setup? I am using the S4 with Traktor Pro. I know I'll have to upgrade to Scratch for the timecode capability but is there any specifics I should look for in turntables? Thanks for the help!

Tech Mentor

Hey Austin, I'm currently in the same situation with you and have been looking around. Yet to buy anything though. Am interested to see the responses from the DJTT community. For turntables, direct drive is the way to go. You can consider technics or any of the super OEM tables.

I'm considering the Stanton STR8 ST150s / reloop 6000 mk 6 b.

Technics.. not rly because of them being EOL and their prices are x2 of the st150 where I live.

I've read that the S4 scratch upgrade kit has been discontinued? or is it just a change from a bundled package to a standalone upgrade?

Correct me if i'm wrong anywhere guys!
    Last edited by Tornesoul; 11-22-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Austin716 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for some turntables to be added to my setup? I am using the S4 with Traktor Pro. I know I'll have to upgrade to Scratch for the timecode capability but is there any specifics I should look for in turntables? Thanks for the help!
    Hi Austin, welcome to DJTT.

I've got an S4 with my 2x 1210s hooked up, set up as live input on C & D in Traktor, so I simply mix the vinyl straight through, not using timecode vinyl to manipulate MP3's etc. You only need Scratch if you want to use timecode as you say. In the first case you will need to run Traktor, the S4 does not work as a standalone mixer.

Turntable wise, a few options exist. But other than my first Soundlab DLP1's (belt drive), I've used Technics for the last 18 years (still the original pair) and don't think I'd ever switch.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Hey thanks for the advice. After doing some homework I think I'm going to pick up the Stanton STR8-150 from GC. With Black Friday tomorrow it's a good as time as ever.... This article did it for me:

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/12...-dj-turntable/

As far as the Scratch upgrade it looks like its still available through NI website. Check out this link:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...a10/?page=4781

I'll be sure to post my reviews after I get it all setup...