Anyone mixing psy-trance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone mixing psy-trance

So my Mixtrack and Oxygen49 is almost sorted. Re-installed Windows after a crash and moving into a new place soon. My setup should be done by mid December and in the mean time Im just messing around with Tracktor pro, mixing Full-on Psy-trance, Dark full-on psy and Twighlight.....

Is there anybody on here with some tips for mixing Psy. There aren't too many videos out on it so any advise would help.

got any mixes for us to check out? prog and psy are my specialty.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

PsyGuy....are you PsyGuy from Cape Town?

If you are....you know you can hit me up.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Yip Im from Cape Town - Heldeberg actually, (where Twighlight originates from and I feel myself moving in that direction, production wise in a few years)

I don't have any mixes as Im just starting out. Im very new to djaying (like 2 months of messing around) but Ive been listening to these genres for a few years now and after messing around with Traktor for this short while, the dj bug has bitten me hard.

1 Difficult thing for me to do is mix 2 psy tracks that have different bpms. I essentially want to start a set with down tempo, then jump to full-on, then to some Dark full on, and end off with some heavy Twighlight tracks.

I also don't know what Progressive Psy actually is and sometimes struggle to distinguish the sub genres....

Tech Wizard

I have a kwick question.....some guys (usually the ones that play around midnight and after, like Frozen Ghost), have huge huge huge multiple build-ups in their sets. Are those build ups actually in the tracks or are the djays manually doing it live on the stage?....all I see is knobs being turned and buttons being pressed but its difficult to really hear with all that sound going on and I havn't experianced any other genre of music with the type of build ups that happen in Psy.

I have so much Psy-Trance music but I've never heard those kind of build-ups when playing tracks from the cd.

Hey...its in their tracks.

Trust me....there is not MUCH manipulation going on while they are DJing or playing live.
    But yeah....you can make your own build ups. I do and will add to ones already in the tracks.

Just saying....but you do know that there is a PsyGuy out there already. ...in Cape Town. Which is why i asked.

Prog is the more chilled non full on Psy. The ones with the hooks and massive builds and lead riffs.

You been to a Beartrap yet?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

My advice would be to WATCH the DJ's closely and steal with your eyes!

^ haha for sure
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

I mix prog, some minimal and very rarely full-on. If you're just starting out I would recommend short intro/outro (not ambient transitions please) blends and work your way up to longer blends.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Hey...its in their tracks.

Trust me....there is not MUCH manipulation going on while they are DJing or playing live.
    But yeah....you can make your own build ups. I do and will add to ones already in the tracks.

Just saying....but you do know that there is a PsyGuy out there already. ...in Cape Town. Which is why i asked.

You been to a Beartrap yet?
    I've been to Bear-trap years ago and I don't know the other Psyguy. I haven't been going to outdoors for a while now as the age is catching up to me. The last 1 was near Pringle Bay at the beggining of the year.

When you say the build-ups are in their tracks, do you mean in their own tracks when they playing live or in the dj sets (They actually add build ups to other peoples tracks)? Good to know.

Another thing is that although you say, not much minipulation is going on, on stage, it sure looks that way. Some djays just stand around and let the tracks play but others are turning eqs, filters, etc etc and really look hands on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast