Traktor F1 and Live Performance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor F1 and Live Performance?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and I am looking for suggestions. I'm trying to put together a setup that would allow me to do some live performance as well as DJ if I wish to. I was thinking going with Traktor and using a Kontrol F1 to launch clips which would enable me to do some more "live" work and also use that setup for straight DJ'ing. The only problem is that I think I read that the F1 is limited to 4 clips at a time in regards to level control and launching?

I'm not a fan of Ableton, and I use Logic for producing, so does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve Ableton that would be good for what I'm looking to do?

Thanks

If 1 F1 is limiting, you could acquire more. You could consider Maschine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AuralSynapses View Post
    I'm trying to put together a setup that would allow me to do some live performance as well as DJ if I wish to. I was thinking going with Traktor and using a Kontrol F1 to launch clips which would enable me to do some more "live" work and also use that setup for straight DJ'ing. The only problem is that I think I read that the F1 is limited to 4 clips at a time in regards to level control and launching?
    I think you'll find it hard to DJ with just an F1... Unless your mixer had every function that you needed, you'd probably want at least another controller (like an X1)?

Anyway, I used to think that the only-4-clips-at-a-time thing was limiting also, but I've kind of changed my mind about it. It really forces you to simplify what you're playing and focus on building a solid sound from the most basic foundations. So your four clips could be drums, bass, synth, and vocals, and you'd have a much easier time EQing those four things to make sure everything sounds perfect together. I find that the mix gets exponentially muddier when I add more than 4 sounds.

Of course, this is assuming you have all 4 clips continuously running at the same time. If you want to do the kind of finger drumming clip launching that Mad Zach, M4SONIC, Rick Fresco, etc. do, then obviously Ableton is better for that.
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/underwaterrobots

Tech Wizard

What about using a Midi Fighter for launching clips? Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabullis View Post
    What about using a Midi Fighter for launching clips? Would that work?
    Any MF can launch clips in Ableton. Any MF can trigger cue points in Traktor's four track decks. The MF3D can launch clips from the remix decks.
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

Tech Wizard

Is the MF3D the only one that can launch clips from the remix decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabullis View Post
    Is the MF3D the only one that can launch clips from the remix decks?
    No the F1 is the only thing that can control them.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Well I guess that makes it easy for my to decide to utilize an F1 as my first add-on controller.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    The MF3D works with the remix decks... You dont have the full functionality of an F1, but you can certainly use the MF3D to launch all 64 of your samples ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by Bears'N'Backpacks View Post
    The MF3D works with the remix decks... You dont have the full functionality of an F1, but you can certainly use the MF3D to launch all 64 of your samples ;-P
    All 64? Is there a way to scroll through the pages of the remix decks on the MF3D that I haven't figured out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast