Newbie intro.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie intro.

Tech Wizard

Default Newbie intro.

Hello everyone and happy holidays! Hopefully nobody got trampled in the black friday madness. I wanted to take a sec to introduce myself. My name is Brian and I am located in sunny southern California. I have been indirectly in the scene for the last 3 years or so supporting friends in LA at their shows and figured it was time to start mixing and producing tracks for myself. Dubstep is the genre that really got me into electronic music although I have listened to various sub-genres in the past and my friends are expanding my taste in EDM. I currently have a M-Audio Axiom 25 and a Windows based PC running Ableton 8. Sound heard through KRK Rokit 6s. I am anxiously awaiting arrival of an APC40, Traktor Audio 2 and Pioneer HDJ-1500s. I'm hoping this will allow me to get into mixing and will get things moving with production. I have learned so much already but there is so much to learn. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

BrianE

I have been producing for 2 years now.. Just with my computer still.

For mixing you would probably want something to actually mix with.. as ableton is cheating and not really mixing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I have been producing for 2 years now.. Just with my computer still.

For mixing you would probably want something to actually mix with.. as ableton is cheating and not really mixing at all.
    Are you serious most of the members on here use controllers and ableton or traktor. The fact that your saying that ableton isn't actual mixing is wack..... Get a life man
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Are you serious most of the members on here use controllers and ableton or traktor. The fact that your saying that ableton isn't actual mixing is wack..... Get a life man
    I might be wrong but I think he's referring to a "controller" or miixer for mixing with Abelton. Not that you're unable to mix with Ableton.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I might be wrong but I think he's referring to a "controller" or miixer for mixing with Abelton. Not that you're unable to mix with Ableton.
    Exactly what im saying. Im also saying that if you purely use ableton for djing and not producing.. then your not really mixing at all.. your pre prepping your set like guetta.

Exactly what im saying. Im also saying that if you purely use ableton for djing and not producing.. then your not really mixing at all.. your pre prepping your set like guetta.
    That's ridiculous. With ableton you have to pre prep all of your tracks in order to dj them but you can still play them entirely on the fly without pre prepping a set. It's not much different than traktor to be honest, but you can get by a bit better with traktors auto grid, at least with most house music.

Edit: if you're quick enough you could actually warp tracks on the fly, while you are djing.
    Last edited by squidot; 11-24-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Get traktor pro to use with your apc 40 , I've seen some good mappings
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Welcome
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    That's ridiculous. With ableton you have to pre prep all of your tracks in order to dj them but you can still play them entirely on the fly without pre prepping a set. It's not much different than traktor to be honest, but you can get by a bit better with traktors auto grid, at least with most house music.

Edit: if you're quick enough you could actually warp tracks on the fly, while you are djing.
    I have yet to see one person djing live with ableton. Everyone has there pre prepped set with there eq's already set on there tracks lol!

Get a controller and traktor for mixing. Use ableton for producing!

I have yet to see one person djing live with ableton. Everyone has there pre prepped set with there eq's already set on there tracks lol!

Get a controller and traktor for mixing. Use ableton for producing!
    You shouldn't generalize a whole group of djs with your limited anecdotal experiences. Plenty of people dj on the fly with ableton and don't have pre prepped sets. If someone wants to use ableton for djing, and the workflow is good for them, then that's exactly how they should dj.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast