How do you warm up?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you warm up?

I was always wondering how other DJs warm up for their set, or at least how do you get into the mix right at the beginning. I have found myself making bad mixing decisions early early in the night.

So I was wondering if there is a technique that I am missing? Or is it something that just comes with time?

Also, the first song... how do you choose?

Jumping jacks

A couple Grey Goose + SF Red Bulls...plus some shots.

Usually gets me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverhex View Post
    I was always wondering how other DJs warm up for their set, or at least how do you get into the mix right at the beginning. I have found myself making bad mixing decisions early early in the night.

So I was wondering if there is a technique that I am missing? Or is it something that just comes with time?

Also, the first song... how do you choose?
    I feel ya on the early bad mixes. It usally take me a 1/2 hour or so to get in the groove. I usally listen to some tracks, bob my head and try and get in the zone before going on. Also I have my first 3 or 4 tracks selected before I go on.

For a starting song I go with something that has a cool intro. Something that grabs their attention but builds up real slow before it drops. I mix mainly minimal tech, electro, house with some breaks as well. My method might not work for you but I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    A couple Grey Goose + SF Red Bulls...plus some shots.

Usually gets me going.

Great advice Chilly. A little liquor calms the nerves. I prefer a long island tea to get going.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If I'm following another DJ I just use them as the starting point unless I know exactly what I want to start with. This is where practice really comes in, as well as recording mixes. If you wantt o change the energy, point out to the crowd there's a new DJ, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want to carry the energy of the previous DJ just figure out what will follow him.

Know your songs, know your crowd and know your abilities. Also, know your tolerance. I've had some of my best nights on half a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort. But, well, I have friends that have had their worst nights on something comparable. It takes some time to get into the groove.

Also, what I'll do, is if I'm following someone and have the space, I'll go into the booth a few minutes early and start running through my collection for ideas. That way, by the time you're on, you have a general idea of your direction and can run with it. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah, I agree with you all on the liquor subject. The thing is, when I have a good buzz I can flow a lot better, mix some weird things and some how make it work. I know it does work because I'm not drunk yet. I have listen to my recorded mixes and I was horribly trashed... Let say it was not good at all. No one complained but they were probably just as messed up.

Maybe I'll try picking out a few good tracks a head of time. Let them play through and hope for some ideas to come as I get warm with a drink. It's just when I jump into it... it never comes out the way I want it.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

If I'm first to start or the last DJ did a bad job at all with him being the only one who likes his stuff I like to experiment a bit with tracks I normally wouldn't play. Last time I tried some rock stuff and that didn't go so well. Then I switched to electro-rap stuff (dunno how to call it exactly) on a minimal floor and the people freaked out. It was just something different.
    If the DJ before you got the party going, keep them going for like 1-2 tracks and then give them a break and start building new tension.

Blimey I hardly drink a drop since my recent switch to digital, too many things to go wrong that wouldn't be so easy to fix with a pissed head.
    Macbook Pro 13" • TP2 • MFPro Beatmasher • VCI-400 EGE • VCI-100 EGE Arcade NOW SOLD! • Presonus Firebox • Vestax VMC004XLu • SL1210's

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
    Blimey I hardly drink a drop since my recent switch to digital, too many things to go wrong that wouldn't be so easy to fix with a pissed head.
    I've had problems in the past, where there was no way I could figure out what was wrong while drinking. Thats why I always keep a mp3 or CD player at hand.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast