Can the fader start of a djm-707 be used to send midi messages to Traktor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can the fader start of a djm-707 be used to send midi messages to Traktor?

I read on another forum that the fader start of a pioneer djm-707 can be used to send midi messages, so I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow use it to control traktor via the 3.5mm audio jacks through some sort of usb interface?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

What is the midi in/out on an audio 10 for?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

You can use MIDI ins and outs to control software with hardware that isn't attached to your computer with USB, it can also be used to control and combine hardware on their own without the need of a computer at all. An example would be my old electronic keyboard that I use with Ableton through a Midi cable to my laptop throught the midi in on my usb mixer. It allows me to control the notes in Ableton with my keaboard.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

MIDI can't travel through audio ports.

Here's the article I found. I think he was using an oxygen 8 keyboard to turn the signal from the 707 into midi data. http://serato.com/forum/discussion/149225

Here's a quote from that post- "Carrying an Oxygen 8 around on top of my other gear is a pain. What
    you need is a midi pad with 2 footswitch inputs. On that note if Akai
    want to send me an MPD32 to play with I'll happily accept! "

I remember Ean modified a vci100 to accept a foot switch, but i'm not sure if he tied it into an existing button or if he connected it to an unused section of the brain essentially adding a new switch.

What about a midi fighter? Doesn't it have extra pins on the brain that I could essentially add two 3.5mm jacks to it and do the same? Wasn't there some sort of kit that I read about a while back where one could make their own controller with alligator clips and a drawing a circuit on a piece of paper? That could be a simple solution.

Tech Mentor

LOL, that was my post on the Serato forum.

I ended up using a Pad Kontrol, which has a jack input for a footswitch.

Trouble is, all you're doing is a using a simple switch (with the fader start instead of a footswitch), and that translates through the controller as a single note on message.

In my case it worked (kind of) to activate the auto fade in video SL, but there's not much else you can do with a single note message; plus it activates every time you move the fader from left to right and vice versa.

Whilst I still think I was kind of ingenious, it didn't take long for me to buy a midi equipped mixer and stop pissing about with botches like that... ;-)

Tech Mentor

Wow, just re-read that old post of mine properly. Can't believe I was carting around the Pad Kontrol AND an Oxygen 8... Pretty sure I ended up wiring both fader starts into the same foot switch input on the Korg. It gives the same result.

Small world I guess ha ha. I just picked up one of these mixers over the weekend and when I saw your post, the gears stated turning in my head on how I could use the fader start feature to play a track in traktor. But yeah, I guess it's not really worth the trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast