Studio Monitor Advice
    Tech Wizard

Default Studio Monitor Advice

Hey DJTT,

I have a question relating to studio monitors. I am playing a performance and have been provided speakers, alas they are speaker wire, and I know I can go RCA to Speaker wires with my Kontrol S2, but was wondering if this would be a good time to pick up some monitors. The performance is for a military christmas party, where the sound would only have to encompass one room. So my question is, 'Is this the right time for some monitors?' Would this be the right situation to use some powered monitors?

Thanks,

ShookStar

How big is the room? If it's bigger than a bedroom, stuido monitors are not a cost-effective solution for main sound. They work in a pinch at house parties, but it's not ideal.

Also, uhh……you do have an amp, right? You can't plug unpowered speakers straight into your S2.

Tech Wizard

Thus the reason I would want something powered. But the room is basically a conference room type area, but somewhat smaller.
    So you're suggesting to invest in a live monitor? or possibly some powered PA Speakers? I don't go mobile often, but am willing to invest for possible future endeavours.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Definetly do not go with studio monitors for a gig - PA speakers required.

If it were me, I'd hire a PA for the night in question unless you plan on needing them alot in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    If it were me, I'd hire a PA for the night in question unless you plan on needing them alot in the future.
    As would I. It costs a few hundred to rent a good PA system for a night/weekend at the places I've checked. But, really……there's a reason this type of gig is done by mobile DJs who own their own stuff. If you're not capable of doing it, don't take the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by shookstar View Post
    Hey DJTT,
    alas they are speaker wire, and I know I can go RCA to Speaker wires with my Kontrol S2,r

Definitely get a PA unless the room is the size of a bedroom.

Tech Wizard

Well in the long run, I won't be doing it too often (mobile dj'ing that is).
    However, I'm trying to keep costs down, I'm actually doing it for a military function, and its more of a volunteer aspect for my unit.
    Therefore the equipment rental is kind of a thumbs down in my opinion.
    The speakers I have been provided are legitimate PA speakers, and everything I need is provided to include an amp and a audio interface/mixer, however am I able to run Speaker wire as an RCA input?

What amp/audio interface/mixer takes speakerwire as input?

I have experience in PA rental stuff and believe me, most amps use XLR in, some use Jack in and very few actually have an RCA (or cinch) input. The RCA inputs are usually only found on home amplifiers or very, very crappy PA amps, that dont even support balanced inputs. If you have a mixer with balanced XLR outputs, just bring 2 XLR and 2 Female XLR>Jack cables. If you dont, bring 2 the same cables and use a male RCA to Male XLR plug. (Female RCA to male XLR also works fine, just put an ordinary RCA cable in between output and plug.
    SpeakerFreaker | E-MU Xboard 49 | Novation Launchpad | Korg Zero4 | CDJ-400's | Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals | TSP 2 | Mac Pro | Soundcloud