Stanton SR150 vs Technics
    Tech Student

Default Stanton SR150 vs Technics

I have acquired some money and want to buy a new pair of turn tables what i'm not sure are if I should get 1200s or try out the Stanton StR150 that I have heard about but never used. I do not won a pair of Techs but have used them so i'm used to them but the Stanton's I know nothing about

technics are built better but no longer made...if you do not want the hassle of possible common problems when buying used 1200s then buy the str8150's...never heard any complaints about them and if qbert uses them in his school I'd call that a win
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Guru

The stantons are really really good tables. I'd look at getting to St-150 curved arm version though. I'm just not really that into straight arm turntables.

Tech Wizard

Used both techs and stantons - ST-150s or Str8t-150s are better. There are many articles and forum post on opinions. Comparing the two is usually a preference on the user or fanboys of one of the brands. Here is a really good review on the stanton's. http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/12...-dj-turntable/
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)

Tech Guru

Stay out of it fan boys.

Tech Mentor

I have 1200 M3Ds, but if buying new, the Stanton (or any of the super OEM tables) are really nice, IMO. I really like the DJTech units, personally. I position mine in "battle mode" and often wish the start/stop buttons were on both corners like the new style units, but alas - I just need to calm down.

In my lifetime (I'm a '73 model), I believe production of vinyl turntables will cease. Going with Technics, you get a near infinite supply of parts, and videos etc. on how to mod and/or service them. Good on you for getting a set. Nothing in the world feels as good as 12" spinning platters and a dancefloor of grateful guests.

^^Loopcat - WTF?^^

I've owned STR8-150s for a few years and used 1200s on and off for even longer.

The Technics have an overall better build quality, but the STR8-150s are well past the "good enough" point and are very solidly built. Technics also have the advantage when it comes to servicing and spares. There's one site that sells spares for the STR8-150 that I know of - and the parts are dirt cheap too (£2 for a pitch slider???) - but whether they are actually in stock is another matter. You've clearly got a much better chance of picking up spares for 1200s.

I went with the 150s because I think they're an overall better DJ deck for my needs. Higher torque, more features, better placement of buttons/controls, greater pitch range, easy to swap out the RCA cables, no ground wire is needed - that kind of thing. I've had them for several years now. The features/performance of the deck is more important to me than "they'll last 1,000 years!". Obviously, I want them to last as long as possible - and they've already lasted a long time - which is why I'd buy another one if one was to die.

I haven't read too many "buyer's remorse" posts on forums from people that have bought them instead of Technics. Some people find the torque too strong, or they've used Technics for years so when they switch, the 150s don't feel "right" or whatever, but most people who buy them seem happy and they get good reviews.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    I have 1200 M3Ds, but if buying new, the Stanton (or any of the super OEM tables) are really nice, IMO. I really like the DJTech units, personally. I position mine in "battle mode" and often wish the start/stop buttons were on both corners like the new style units, but alas - I just need to calm down.

In my lifetime (I'm a '73 model), I believe production of vinyl turntables will cease. Going with Technics, you get a near infinite supply of parts, and videos etc. on how to mod and/or service them. Good on you for getting a set. Nothing in the world feels as good as 12" spinning platters and a dancefloor of grateful guests.

^^Loopcat - WTF?^^
    If you've seen how the othe 50 threads on this topic have gone down you would understand...