Ableton Virtual Mem issue

Default Ableton Virtual Mem issue

Hey!

I am new to Ableton and I am using live 7.03 for producing. It was all going pretty good for some time untill yesterday that live was getting freezed and hunged very often. Sometimes I got the insuffucient virtual memory alert.
    On the taskmanager you could notice the cpu meter quite stable at around 30-40% but the PF was getting bigger and bigger.
    On live boot it was already at 300mb, and after opening my proyect it uses 1.4GB and if I got to press play and do anything new the most probable thing is it is getting hung again.

I searched ableton forum but there were references for similar issues with ableton 8.0 people sayed it never happened with 7. What maight be happening here? I am actually running out of ram (I have only 2 GB) because the size of my proyect?

Why does the Ram PF gets bigger and bigger with time? Does something loads direcrly to the Ram altough live is standing still?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome as I am new to this software and I bealive that my project is quite simple to be having such big issues....

Thanks!

Just guessing here, but maybe you are using mp3s or some form of compressed audio in your project? Live converts everything to WAV before it begins using the audio, and if I'm not mistaken this is stored in memory(?).

Could you describe the project you're working on?

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    Just guessing here, but maybe you are using mp3s or some form of compressed audio in your project? Live converts everything to WAV before it begins using the audio, and if I'm not mistaken this is stored in memory(?).

Could you describe the project you're working on?
    Well I did use some voice sampled into mp3 to generate some midi tracks. As I also have a couple of sampled trumpets from mp3s also.... All cut to midi tracks afterwards.

On the project I am using a Bunch of ableton's stuff on impulse and the EZdrummer latin percussion VST on 3 midi tracks and also the liquid trumpet VST.

But all the mp3s I have used are quite small...

Just now I have being moving the CPU settings in live and I removed the multicore support and changed the Plugin buffer size from auto to 256. Now I was able to play my whole project without freezing.. but not to sure about this...

What cpu settins and warp settings are recommended inside live?

Can you update your software to Live 7.0.16? There may have been an early software bug that was fixed since 7.0.3

Allowing multicore cpu setting, theoretically, should only help you run things better. Use the test tone to figure out your ideal buffer and latency settings in the preferences dialogue. Not sure how much warp settings would play into this problem.

Are you routing any audio to send tracks and back to audio tracks. Maybe there is some sort of loop being created that is eating up a lot of memory? I don't have experience with the VSTs you are using, so I can't say how much resources you should expect those to tie up.

I'm not an Ableton expert by any means, but I would suggest updating the software first and then starting to troubleshoot more. Are you searching the Ableton forum for any mention of this type of issue? They have a pretty robust forum so you may find an answer there. Hope you figure out your problem.
    Last edited by misa; 07-24-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks for your help, I will try the update, I am sure there must be improvements. Also I hadn't use the tone to determine the buffer size and latency so I will do that also. But it seems that disabling the multicore support seemed to help with my machine.

I am just learning Ableton so thanks for your sugestions