Reference Monitor for Mixing Eletronic music.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Reference Monitor for Mixing Eletronic music.

Hello.
    I want to buy some reference monitor but dont know if I must buy Krk Vxt or wait for the new Adam F series which will be out in early january.
    I only mix Eletronic music and want a reference monitor for having a good idea of how will sound my mix on every source of sound, nightclub, home monitor, ipod...etc

I mix in an unthreated room, 4 x 4 x 2.50 m, and.dont need tons of bass because of the people who live with me. Thanks.

So I have the KRK's and initially I thought they were good, but what i've learned (I could be wrong) is that there's much much more to it then just having the right reference monitors. It's about having the monitors, the room acoustics need to be right, the positioning of the monitors has to be right, etc. To be honest the more that I think about it the more I feel that until you can get a proper room soundproofed and it's acoustics done correctly I would suggest buying reference headphones.

Jus my two cents.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for you answer i have actually rhp 10 from reloop as headphone and no speakers. I actually want to buy some and i have the money now but like I said dont need a big level and phat bass because of the place I live. So I dont know what to do... Vxt 4 or wait for Adam F series... here is the dilemn.

Tech Convert

Best thing to do is find somewhere that sells what you want and listen to them both for comparison and pick what you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by lapinfuu View Post
    I mix in an unthreated room, 4 x 4 x 2.50 m, and.dont need tons of bass because of the people who live with me. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lapinfuu View Post
    Thanks for you answer i have actually rhp 10 from reloop as headphone and no speakers. I actually want to buy some and i have the money now but like I said dont need a big level and phat bass because of the place I live. So I dont know what to do... Vxt 4 or wait for Adam F series... here is the dilemn.

VXT4s are not really suitable for mixing any sort of dance music imo. 4" driver is just too small to get any half accurate low end. You say you don't need tons of bass but you want it to sound accurately- you won't get that without monitors with a decent driver size and really without a sub in a properly setup room. If you purposely get small cheaper monitors because you don't want a lot of low end that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get accurate monitors. There is no reason to limit monitor size- if noise becomes a problem just turn the volume down instead of buying tiny monitors that will never be that useful for dance music.

Even with a monitor subwoofer if it is set up properly you will hardly be able to tell it is on and I have never had noise complaints in an apartment. No monitors are going to have huge bass like you are worried about. If noise is an issue that's what the volume knob is for.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-27-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post

4" driver is just too small to get any half accurate low end.
    What would be the minimum for a good idea of how it will sound in a Club ?
    5 " are okay ?

Seems I've heard a lot of people say that the rockits are quite colored compared to other studio monitors... which is what you don't want in studio production. Personally, I say just go with whatever you think sounds good to you. Then a whirl in the car can tell you exactly what it will end up being like for the consumer.

Good mixing is about using speakers you know very well, not really the speakers. To mix VERY WELL, you need good monitors and need literally hundreds if not thousands of hours listening to them.

No matter which one of those speakers you mentioned you buy, as soon as you bounce out your track and listen to it somewhere else, it will sound terrible and you will need to go back and tweak it several times. That's normal, and a lot of producers do it.

I have KRKs, but all throughout the mixing process, I switch the output between several pairs of phones.

Basically, what I'm saying is unless you have a perfect room, perfect speakers, and hundreds of hours in that room, it doesn't really make a difference what you use. So don't get too hung up on the monitors or expect them to do magical things.

KRK's are far from the best when it comes to production.

I've got a set of Event Electronics BAS 20/20s I couldn't recommend them more, not too much more then the KRKs and way better sound.

But like everyone said, this is a decision you need to make, go in and listen to a few sets.

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    Good mixing is about using speakers you know very well, not really the speakers. To mix VERY WELL, you need good monitors and need literally hundreds if not thousands of hours listening to them.

No matter which one of those speakers you mentioned you buy, as soon as you bounce out your track and listen to it somewhere else, it will sound terrible and you will need to go back and tweak it several times. That's normal, and a lot of producers do it.

I have KRKs, but all throughout the mixing process, I switch the output between several pairs of phones.

Basically, what I'm saying is unless you have a perfect room, perfect speakers, and hundreds of hours in that room, it doesn't really make a difference what you use. So don't get too hung up on the monitors or expect them to do magical things.
    THIS.

Also, don't spend weeks/months agonizing over which monitors to get and what advantages each brand has. All monitors in any given price range will be about the same. Just get a pair that sound good to you and START MIXING. Learn how your monitors sound. Bounce the track and listen to it on your iPod, stereo, in your car, etc. and make adjustments.

Also, look into this little gadget, I've read good reviews:

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/underwaterrobots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast