Dealing with Culture Clashes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dealing with Culture Clashes

If you are like me, a great set will literally entrance you and take you to beautiful place outside of your current reality.

I've often wondered what inspires these conductors, DJs, controllers, musicians...and I've often struggled with understanding the "place" for the underground sound and culture. To me...its underground, in a dank warehouse, an afterhours in downtown, the desert, the forest, the mountains or anywhere apart from the typical chains of modern civil society where crowds or masses gather to dance, love, smile, vibe, groove and harmonize.

Maybe its something you only need to deal with when you become a "big name" DJ because I guess beggars cant be choosers...or can they?

I've always wondered how I would deal with this. I come from what I considered to be an "underground culture" and a lot of what I play I would consider to be dark, avant garde, abstract, etc. For the most part this is what drove me to the "Rave Scene" its counter culture tribe mentality and genuine music centered passion and love (convoluted as it may seem).

Im about as "anti 'club-culture' " as they come. You can call me an elitist, snob, judgmental prick, etc etc...but I hate it. My experience has been that this typical following consists of self indulged, narcissistic, shallow, small minded, trendy, rude, selfish, money driven, disrespectful, conceded, plastic, fake-poser-douche bags that I'd rather not spend my time around.

In my experience they know NOTHING about the music, culture, history, DJ's etc. They are simply there to parade themselves, "bag" the opposite sex, over indulge and just contribute to a poison in a steadily increasing commercial culture. The common clubber who "says 'they know what is what' but they dont know what is what...they just strut...what the fuck?!"

So...that being said. I am confused when I see big names that I respect and adore on flyers for typical "club Dulce & Gabbana" bullshit type events when their sound is grimy, underground and passionate...it seems out of place.

Is it just politics? Is it just a job like anything else? I dont know. I wonder how I would deal with this. I don’t think I could do it….how would it affect my sets? How do you all deal with it?

Im definitely not a TOTALY elitist (underground or nothing). I do have and love a lot of "EDM" that I would consider very "clubby" and even commercial but...I dont know.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by rvltion909; 07-25-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Default http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=59779

nice post man i share you're attitude

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    So...that being said. I am confused when I see big names that I respect and adore on flyers for typical "club Dulce & Gabbana" bullshit type events when their sound is grimy, underground and passionate...it seems out of place.
    i think there's inevitably going to be grey areas. and i guess it also depends on whos promoting the gig...

this pic pretty accurately sums up my opinion. not only of music but of the entire world
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

it's just business, it's what it all comes down to. DJs/producers may have the right mindset and heart, but in the end, a gig is a gig and they don't control promotions. money makes the world go round..unfortunately :/
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    nice post man i share you're attitude

i think there's inevitably going to be grey areas. and i guess it also depends on whos promoting the gig...

this pic pretty accurately sums up my opinion. not only of music but of the entire world
    Ah, Music for the Jilted Generation
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Banned

In my opinion, there really is no such thing as being 'underground' now a days. With the internet being the way it is, once something groundbreaking hits it spreads fast ad becomes popular, and not just in music. Could be fashion, art, cinema and so on.

As far as clubs, could just be the clubs you are going to? I've been to a number of clubs in Canada, Mexico and South America where the crowds are up to date on the musica and are really into hearing new and exciting music.

I never got into the Rave culture myself, as the few I attended it seems all everyone wanted to do was get fucked up on any substance they could. Funny part is, years later I still see some of these people and they haven't changed at all. Still listening to the same music from 6-7 years ago, still wearing the same clothes, still stuck at the same dead end jobs and still living at home, and they are still looking to get fucked up. These people are more worried about being about being part of the "anti-culture" and not really into the music.

It goes both ways I guess, just hard to find good people on the level who know about the music.

the "underground" are people who do their own thing, regardless of whether it fits into what's "hot" on the charts. my opinion though
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

lol im glad im not the only dj who hates everything about club coulture besides the music. I suspect it's a similar feeling for all us geeky guys who've ironically carved ourselves a niche in "cool-kid" territory bhahaha.

who's a geek? lol speak for your self buddy
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Ah, Music for the Jilted Generation
    I saw that pic and immediately thought of that album, even 15 odd years later "Fuck 'em, and their law!"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    In my opinion, there really is no such thing as being 'underground' now a days.
    there is most certainly still an underground. any gig that isn't promoted in public is underground. they may be rare but they're still about

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    As far as clubs, could just be the clubs you are going to? I've been to a number of clubs in Canada, Mexico and South America where the crowds are up to date on the musica and are really into hearing new and exciting music.

I never got into the Rave culture myself, as the few I attended it seems all everyone wanted to do was get fucked up on any substance they could
    hopefully not sounding like a prick, i think the problem here is that you never got into rave culture. once youve absorbed by it you'll find the underground
    Last edited by Kaon; 07-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast