Best portable, robust controller for Traktor

Default Best portable, robust controller for Traktor

Help please

I've been a trad DJ for donkeys but for various reasons have decided to go digital. This where the problems start.

I mostly play techno, being able to scratch would be an added bonus but not essential. My main requirements are using the Traktor software, with the ability of delving into controllerism. The only controller that has caught my attention is the Allen and Heath Xone DX, as it looks tough as nails, has replaceable components, is relatively easily transported, has a decent soundcard, has XLR, booth out and phone inputs. My worry is that it has been discontinued and therefore replacement parts may be hard to come by, also I'm worried about Traktor 2.5 and future Traktor mapping. Also would it be easy enough adding a Maschine or a Kontrol F1 or two to spice things up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also regarding any other controllers. Ps experience tells me I'm fairly hardwaring on my kit and I do need to be able to lug it around.

Cheers
    Dave

Sent from my iPad

Tech Guru

i was in a similar situation to you, found the allen & heath Xone 1d to suit me perfectly, its a solid metal box...built to last! i opted for a modular setup, mixing traditionally albiet via traktor scratch pro, but also added the controller for transport and effects. i now also use an ipad with touch osc for hot cues etc...very handy for house and techno
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    i was in a similar situation to you, found the allen & heath Xone 1d to suit me perfectly, its a solid metal box...built to last! i opted for a modular setup, mixing traditionally albiet via traktor scratch pro, but also added the controller for transport and effects. i now also use an ipad with touch osc for hot cues etc...very handy for house and techno
    I picked up the xone 2d recently and LOVE it. Do a lot of minimal, tech house, techno (and a little deep house) and it works great for simple a/b mixing.
    I just have a 2deck internal mapping, but I'm about to make some 2/3/4 deck mappings to use with an external mixer
    Thought I would use it with my external mixer, but I've been using it to mix internally for the time being.
    I love it for an all in one solution. Going to hook it up to my mixer soon and really have some fun.... ! (2channels from traktor + EMX1)

Tech Mentor

The good old VCI-100? Built like a tank.

The Reloop Jockey 3 ME is all metal and I have heard lots of good things about it.

S2, F1, TP2, Zomo HD1200

http://soundcloud.com/sam-hulley

X1 + Audio 6/10 soundcard and real mixer or S2
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

well coming from a "traditional" background you most definitely have a mixer at home so why not go for a modular setup with a soundcard and a pair of x1/xonek2/f1 or any combination of these? easyily portable (every club you might play at should have a decent mixer) and not as expensive as the dx.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    I picked up the xone 2d recently and LOVE it. Do a lot of minimal, tech house, techno (and a little deep house) and it works great for simple a/b mixing.
    I just have a 2deck internal mapping, but I'm about to make some 2/3/4 deck mappings to use with an external mixer
    Thought I would use it with my external mixer, but I've been using it to mix internally for the time being.
    I love it for an all in one solution. Going to hook it up to my mixer soon and really have some fun.... ! (2channels from traktor + EMX1)
    should of mentioned i use an external mixer along with the 1d
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    should of mentioned i use an external mixer along with the 1d
    I have an external mixer, but I wanted to also have an option to play without one with the 2d. Been having so much fun w/ it in internal mode that I haven't bothered making an external mapping.

Do you have an image of how your 1d external mapping is set up? I'd love to check it out.
    Even a simple description would be nice.
    I've been having trouble deciding what exactly I have to have for external. (I'll have more controls to map because of the channel faders, EQs,master volume, PFL button will all be on mixer)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by vanaema78 View Post
    The good old VCI-100? Built like a tank.
    I second this. I'm going to gig with mine until it dies, but at the same time I'm afraid that I may never get a chance to upgrade ever!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/