Who has used a Kontrol X1 and/or Xone K2? what are your thougts?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Who has used a Kontrol X1 and/or Xone K2? what are your thougts?

...And is there anything similar to them?

I'm selling my S2 because I want to move to a very small setup. I want to use either the X1 with a Launchpad/Push or a K2 with a Launchpad/Push. I'd be routing Ableton into Traktor. I understand that the X1 doesnt have a soundcard (I have an Audio 2) I'm just curious what the people, who has used one or the other or both, think about these two units.

thanks

Tech Mentor

I use two x1s with a standalone mixer. One x1 perfectly controls two of my decks, without too much changing of the default mapping. they perfectly fit my needs. but since you will not have a mixer, the fader-section of the k2 might come in really handy, so i would go for that, regarding the setup you're planning.

I don't think I could DJ with the X1 without a mixer. It's vital for me.
    The X1 for me is purely for control of Traktor and the songs.
    EQ's and minor FX are still done on the mixer.
    I love the X1, but as a standalone piece of kit. It wouldn't work for me.
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

As an owner of both, I thoroughly enjoy both. It's nice to have the K2 because it has pretty much everything for a spur of the moment gig, and then if i throw my x1 alongside of it I have even more control over Traktor. They're 2 different pieces of hardware though kind of. The k2 is doable by itself, while you need a mixer/soundcard to use the x1.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have both, the K2 is currently in its box and the X1 is siting next to the Z2.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

I've had a similar question recently. I'm a noob looking to upgrade from my S2 to a setup that will let me control 4-decks.

Adding the soundcard/mixer to the cost of an X1 is a huge turn-off though.

Is anyone out there using the K2 as a controller and internal mixer in Traktor simultaneously? Is it usable? The price point is right but it seems like you'd have to swap layers between mixer/effects control etc. and it could just be a huge pain in the butt.

Better to bite the bullet and start saving up cash for the external mixer / X1's combo?

not to jack the thread from OP but im curious how everyone is using there K2 as an X1 replacement (i.e not using faders and knobs for EQ and stuff) still using the external mixer for EQ and channels. im going to be replacing my X1 with a K2 and get another K2 eventually to have more control but for now just one as i have a Kontrol F1 and will continue to use remix decks if i can build some better remix sets have been putting that off for some time..

as for the OP in your situation I'd go for a Xone K2 over the X1, i love my X1 but for your projected setup you would fare better with the K2

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    As an owner of both, I thoroughly enjoy both. It's nice to have the K2 because it has pretty much everything for a spur of the moment gig, and then if i throw my x1 alongside of it I have even more control over Traktor. They're 2 different pieces of hardware though kind of. The k2 is doable by itself, while you need a mixer/soundcard to use the x1.
    This, I rent out a practice place and can't be fussed to pack everything up between there and home.
    I keep the k2 at home to bash out ideas using internal mixer and to prep tracks. Vastly underused i know but with the new DB4 firmware looking at incorporating it into my regular setup which is mixer and one F1/X1

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I have both, the K2 is currently in its box and the X1 is siting next to the Z2.
    Same as me...with the exception that my X1 is sitting next to a DN-X1700.

I got the K2 when it first came out thinking that the audio interface and faders would give me a minimal internal mixer to use alongside my X1. In the end, I just didn't like using the studio style faders and lack of center detente on the pots to use for mixing. Also, I prefer 4-5 knobs per channel for mixing internally: 3 EQS (Lo/Mid/Hi) + 1 Filter (and if available, + 1 Gain). The K2 only has 3 knobs per channel...and no, the encoder doesn't count for me as it is not smooth enough for filter sweeps etc...plus, I need visual feedback on the knob itself to see where the knob position is...i don't want to have to look at the screen the whole time.

I wound up getting a DN-X1700 as I can use the mixer as a big MIDI control surface when mixing with traktor (internal mixing), and I can seamlessly switch between mixing internally in Traktor to traditional mixing with 2 CDJs.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

I've been using an F1 as a midi mixer (filter for gain) and the channel EQ's mapped to my X1's and it works well..
    Plus it's really easy to get to a mates house or whatever..
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast