Electro beat making / track production
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Electro beat making / track production

Guys,

Pretty happy with my recent digital dj-ing purchases but now I want to try and make some tunes.

The problem is, I don't know how. I have looked on youtube ie. ableton and cubase, but does anyone have any experience of making tunes and what in your opinion is the best way to make high-quality tracks.

Cheers

FunkDoc

..what kind of ideas do you have for example?

i just want to be able to put dirty electro house tracks together - in the same vein as crookers, dabruck etc. but i just don't know where to start, ie. what equipment/software should i have...

i would suggest you to start brwosing some genre-related producer forums to get a little deeper into production and also getting an idea of what you want and how you can achieve it..there are many many ways - this won´t happen over night!

www.futureproducers.com

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ic-production/

those 2 came into my mind first but there are many many more...

I use FL Studio to produce anything that I do. A lot of guys will kind of sneer at this but imo it's just as powerful a tool as anything else when you know how to use it correctly.

I'm no master producer, but I learned everything I know really by just trial and error. I would suggest not going into production only trying to create electro tracks- even if that's what you want to do in the end. If you just kind of mess around and experiment you will eventually figure out how to do what you want on your own.

Just my experience.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Banned

There's no "trick" to making quality tunes, just something you have to keep at and keep working on and you'll learn as you go along

Banned

Also, take the time to actually learn music theory. Take some piano classes just so you can learn scales, chords, chord progressions and so on. Will make life 20 times easier

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    I'm no master producer, but I learned everything I know really by just trial and error. I would suggest not going into production only trying to create electro tracks- even if that's what you want to do in the end. If you just kind of mess around and experiment you will eventually figure out how to do what you want on your own.

Just my experience.

exactly. do some light reading and ask questions on forums, get the software and start experimenting.

Take full advantage of the tutorials online (youtube youtube youtube) because it can increase the speed of the learning process. I've primarily taught myself the hard way by trial and error like lambox and although I'm starting to feel confident in my work it's been 10 years of wrestling/tinkering to learn what I needed to know- but I wish I had access to the information I have now 10 years ago, what a difference that would have made !
    Last edited by wrong chris; 07-25-2009 at 02:07 PM.

what these guys are saying is the truth..it takes a lot of time and work. the artists you've mentioned have spent years working to be where they are now. but everyone's gotta start somewhere, so dive in and learn all you can, lay some things down and you'll get the hang of it. every thing you do will make you better and more aware of what you're doing. good luck brother
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Also, take the time to actually learn music theory. Take some piano classes just so you can learn scales, chords, chord progressions and so on. Will make life 20 times easier

i dunno how important this one is considering many of the greatest musicians don't even know how to read music, let alone had classical training. I'm sure it helps, but if you can't pick up how to write a song just from listening to other songs your in trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast