In for the Kill (Skream's Let's get Ravey Edit) - how does it work?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In for the Kill (Skream's Let's get Ravey Edit) - how does it work?!

Yo DJTT!

I've got a problem with said tune... anyone mix with it?

Basically, I think its awesome, and I really wanna get it into a dubstep set, because its not often legit bootlegs come up of chart songs in the dubstep world, and I think this one's particularly good! BUT...

I'm finding it really difficult to integrate, because the beginnings so weird! I've finally managed to get it gridded on Traktor, using the drop section as a guide, and i've even tried counting the first sections with a metronome to work out the structure, and I just can't work it out (it's really unconventional!)

Anyone use this tune? can anyone come up with any ideas about how I might use this, without just dropping it in after? (which is a bit boring)

I've tried dropping it, but there's about a 2 minute section with no beat atall - perhaps I should open with it... I'm just chucking ideas round now!

Please help! Cheers!!

Tech Mentor

youtube link for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAOmC9HlRjM

It seems pretty average to me... ambient intro, them drums, then drop around 1:30. Just drop it in on top of another tune's beat outro cueing at the :37 when the drums kick in and it'll be fine.

edit: oops, that was the High Contrast edit. Why are there so many damned edits for this tune?!

correct link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTEEovZGN1Y

edit again: it's just a long ambient intro with a bassline. Just loop the outgoing track's drums, pull the bass down a bit, and drop this tune in on top.
    Last edited by n2hf1st; 07-25-2009 at 05:13 PM.

problem is keeping it in time - its really stretched about and sounds really dodgy over other beats. Maybe I'm thinking about it too musically, and need to just drop it over an outro!

I'm more used to DJing techno now - which is pretty strictly structured... haha i need to chill out i think!

I'll give that a go, and report back with the results! Cheers man

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Yeah don't be afraid to just play it, I generally just blend into it over a part of a track with minimal or no percussion, not everything needs to be beat matched to be a good mix. Def try mixing into some D&B at the end, that gets a good response!

yh that's awesome!
    i think its such a good song, and its a proper challenging mixer! that massive dead silence b4 the D&B section is just amazing! (until someone leans on your turntable, while they wait for the drop, stopping it indefinitely while they wait for the drop, while you frantically switch off the timecode... that's what stopped me using DVS and just using midi! but that's a whole other story..)

Still, it's awesome!

I might run it into the blame rmx of show me love... hmm.. i love DJing

hey belch, ive been trying to mix out of this for ages.

best thing ive come up with is dropping dj fresh - scream on top of it and switching before the drums hit. that beat is impossible lol.

but yes, i absolutely love this track.

Tech Guru

if you can't mix a song using the standard techniques, your best option is to edit the song in an audio editor to make it workable.

Take a section of the song that would be easy to mix, copy and paste over the problem area - you can even use traktor to blend the different sections. You'll have to do a bit of fudging about to make it sound smooth and natural, but it's doable.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 07-25-2009 at 09:20 PM.

do you beatgrid? the start should beatgrid at 70 or 71bpm. then there is an irregular gap(i think about 12 beats) of silence then a dnb drop which i think would be about 80bpm but if youve gridded the start then you cant grid the end...

i never noticed anything unusual about the structure of the dubstep section though
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Mentor

If there's an irregular gap in it (dunno, I didn't listen that closely) then after you sort out the tempo just set a 2nd beatgrid marker on the next downbeat.

ah i should have been more clear. its not that the next downbeat is off grid. its that it starts an irregular number of beats after the 'breakdown'(quiet bit) so instead of being the standard 4 or 8 beats of silence its 7 or 9 or something silly
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast