Traktor S4 BeatGriding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor S4 BeatGriding

I am trying to understand more and find so much BS on the net and always come here for the answers..

I am learning to beat grid on the S4 and came across some videos...

Here is my question I am new to traktor. and I kind of have a noob question I saw a video of a person beat matching 126bpm's he said to do this to all tracks using that one track as a guide Do he mean only tracks that are 126bpm correct. I ask because I saw another video a person said the same but said to use the higher bpm for all tracks even lower bpm's such as 98 or higher 132 I was in shocking thinking why change the BPM of lower songs... I'm confused I saw the vid 5 times so I know I didn't misunderstand stand the gentleman am I missing something or was this guys some crazed fool giving wrong info it kind of confused me as to why he would say such a thing..

I am just trying to learn properly...

Quote Originally Posted by ZooYork View Post
    I am trying to understand more and find so much BS on the net and always come here for the answers..

I am learning to beat grid on the S4 and came across some videos...

Here is my question I am new to traktor. and I kind of have a noob question I saw a video of a person beat matching 126bpm's he said to do this to all tracks using that one track as a guide Do he mean only tracks that are 126bpm correct. I ask because I saw another video a person said the same but said to use the higher bpm for all tracks even lower bpm's such as 98 or higher 132 I was in shocking thinking why change the BPM of lower songs... I'm confused I saw the vid 5 times so I know I didn't misunderstand stand the gentleman am I missing something or was this guys some crazed fool giving wrong info it kind of confused me as to why he would say such a thing..

I am just trying to learn properly...

hey man no worries bro i see your putting the effort so i'll help. You need to understand there are 2 things BEAT MATCHING and BEAT GRIDING.

1. Beat Matching - match the BPM(beats per minute) of the incoming song to the current playing song.

EXAMPLE: the track that is playing is 128bpm the incoming track is at 132bpm. you lower the 132 to 128 by slowing the song down by 4 bpm to get them to match.

2. Beat Griding - Set your Grid marker in Traktor to the first down Beat and it will grid that track for you to the correct bpm.

the reason you grid is so that if you use the sync button the software has a reference point to line up the beats.

or if you don't use the sync button then you can line up the waves correctly. or even better just use your ears but that defeats the question about the beat grid they wouldn't be needed

I would check out the tutorials available on DJTT as they have some good ones on beat gridding.

In particular, I like Ean's method using the metronome built into Traktor
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/04/2...s-eans-method/

Also, here is a list of the different tutorials on DJTT
    http://www.djtechtools.com/?s=beat+grid

Stick with it, once you get the hang of it it's really easy and quite quick to do.

Quote Originally Posted by P4ULSON View Post
    hey man no worries bro i see your putting the effort so i'll help. You need to understand there are 2 things BEAT MATCHING and BEAT GRIDING.

1. Beat Matching - match the BPM(beats per minute) of the incoming song to the current playing song.

EXAMPLE: the track that is playing is 128bpm the incoming track is at 132bpm. you lower the 132 to 128 by slowing the song down by 4 bpm to get them to match.

2. Beat Griding - Set your Grid marker in Traktor to the first down Beat and it will grid that track for you to the correct bpm.

the reason you grid is so that if you use the sync button the software has a reference point to line up the beats.

or if you don't use the sync button then you can line up the waves correctly. or even better just use your ears but that defeats the question about the beat grid they wouldn't be needed
    Thanks so much so if I set up my songs properly for future use and reference, I should do this to each song as I set it up for traktor?

Tech Mentor

Yes. Import your tracks, right click, analyze. Traktor will analyze bpm and make a grid. Sometimes its close sometimes not. The new 2.5 seems to get close. But if it makes a bpm like 140.006, double click, and type in 140.

Then as said, youll wanna find a good down beat, usually like a kick starting a measure, zoom in. Line up the center grid, and delete tthe old and add in a new grid to make it llined up.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHawk View Post
    Yes. Import your tracks, right click, analyze. Traktor will analyze bpm and make a grid. Sometimes its close sometimes not. The new 2.5 seems to get close. But if it makes a bpm like 140.006, double click, and type in 140.

Then as said, youll wanna find a good down beat, usually like a kick starting a measure, zoom in. Line up the center grid, and delete tthe old and add in a new grid to make it llined up.
    Thanks so much for the advice I'm going to try all this when I get home from work. Is deleting the old easy? Sorry for asking so many questions I'm used to my old 1200's crates of records and my mixer an so muh other equipment it's been years since I DJed and never had anyone to show me it's all self taught so I appreciate the help

Plus it's a huge task I have about 3000 songs in my library it's kind of over whelming but ill he through them all

yes deleting is easy. use your advance Deck flavor and in the grid section just hit the trash can

Tech Mentor

No prob just hard to typpe on a phone.

Be in advanced mixer mode. So ull see cue/move/grid below ur track in that deck. Load song. Click on grid. Then itll switch and to the right ull see a garbage can. Thats to delete old cue. And to left of that is the insert new grid marker. Line up your grid to the beat, hit garbage can and delete old. Then hit the new grid button and itll switch to new position. Then go down the track a few times making sure other hits line up still or else ull be able to see how far off they are, then go back to 1ableton grid marker and adjust.

Tech Mentor

At least analyze ur stuff in groups of 100 or so and they be close. I regrid and lock once im playing withh the track n getting ready for playlist. Hit that lock button once ur done gridding a track and then it cant be messed up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast