laptop surcharge to play sets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default laptop surcharge to play sets

http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/gem...rge-to-dj-sets

I'm really trying hard to wrap my head around the fees Germany is trying to enforce in the night clubs. Can someone closer to the source give me an idea of why the form of media being played changes the royalties? I'm kind of baffled at what has been happening this year with rights management and club fees. I'm even more confused is if this applies to artists using the computer to perform a live set from stems they produced or just DJ sets?

How very Stone Age.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

The UK is even worse as that kind of nonsense is already enforced here.

Tech Guru

So how does that work - the enforcers randomly show up at clubs and search your computer to see how many audio tracks you have stored?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

From the sounds of it you'd need to keep a playlist of every track you actually played ...

Bloody ridiculous, music was paid for, or in many cases given to the DJ as promotional material, the venues are already paying a fee, and now they want a slice of "airtime" as well :-O

I would LOVE to see the ACTUAL figures of how much goes to the artists who's track you played versus "administration" fees being pocketed by the agency in question.

Come to think of it I'd like to see the same for every fecking charity on the planet as well... these music agencies all set THEMSELVES up from what I understand as a governing body.

I can't figure out where "white label" and "dub plate" even fits in to this paradigm of royalties. Even more so with digital I get some interesting things that aren't in shops, of either physical or digital media. That doesn't mean that ASCAP and BMI hasn't been registered for the tune, but in physical media it was sometimes harder to trace the artist and title of the track. If it is a complete bootleg remix of a tune with for promo use only, how does that fit into their payment scheme? I'm just kind of lost in where any of this makes sense, unless it is a subtle way to wage warfare on club culture.

Just wait until they start putting mics in our cars to start charging us for singing along to our tunes.

how long before riaa tries this crap here in the states? cause you know, suing people who pirated 10 songs for millions of dollars just isn't enough.

so let's get this straight...the songs are usually already purchased by the dj (or obtained by legit means), the club is already paying their fees for music to be played (which apparently also just increased), and now a dj is going to be directly charged royalties for each song played (and even more money if the song is played over 5 mins - what is this some kind of phone sex charging plan?), but only if they are playing from a laptop? that is completely bonkers!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Lol well that doesn't make sense whatsoever. Most people have already payed for the rights to play said song or it was a free dl..?

This wouldn't fly in Canada

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I can't figure out where "white label" and "dub plate" even fits in to this paradigm of royalties. Even more so with digital I get some interesting things that aren't in shops, of either physical or digital media. That doesn't mean that ASCAP and BMI hasn't been registered for the tune, but in physical media it was sometimes harder to trace the artist and title of the track. If it is a complete bootleg remix of a tune with for promo use only, how does that fit into their payment scheme? I'm just kind of lost in where any of this makes sense, unless it is a subtle way to wage warfare on club culture.
    They don't fit in at all if its anything like the Irish IRMA/IMRO Model. In whch case You register, you get airtime on radio/tv and only then you can collect.

For the Underground/No Radio or TV Airtime Producer you get just about zero ... my sisters was registered and they got a check after 2 years for 3 euro CENT.

There was also a pretty long drawn out court battle with a club owner Vs Irish Music Rights Orgainization in relation to playing Underground Non-Released music in his club which fell eventually fell its Arse.

So where is comes to Bootlegs, unreleased Tracks, or artist who are not registered with them its basically free money.

The difference with the irish model (so far) is there is a set fee for every venue (or office even where music is audible to the public !) to pay per year based on foot traffic.
    Last edited by deevey; 12-02-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast