Maschine or mikro?
    Tech Mentor

Default Maschine or mikro?

i am looking at getting a Maschine for producing. i love the vids i see, and my lust over this gear is immense. i need it!

the only problem is... price. mikro is 1/3 or 1/4 the price of its big brother... but why is it?

i need to know from you guys, which is a better route to go. im in college, so any money is important. but what do i loose if i go to mikro? i want the streamlined workflow, and i feel like only maschine has that right now. i need the quickness to get my ideas out and recorded.

so my question is... maschine or mikro? if you have it, what made you choose it? and whats the MAJOR loss of using mikro instead?

any benefits of mikro?
    ~2 X Gemini XL 500II~ I ~Vestax PMC-05 PROII~ I ~Audio 4 DJ~ I ~Traktor Scratch Pro 2~

Tech Mentor

Can't speak on the Mikro as I do not own one, however I do own the full Maschine.

With regards to software, you get exactly the same thing in both packages. This includes, all the effects, the Komplete Elements bundle (samples, kits, loops, reaktor player, guitar rig, vst's etc.) So you're not loosing anything there.

Hardware wise, there are some big differences. Firstly, the Mikro has only one display screen as opposed to the two on "big" Maschine. As far as the transport panel that appears to be identical in both cases. It's moving into the groups section that things change up. As opposed to 8 dedicated buttons for each group there's only one on the mikro. On the new MkII the volume/tempo knob and big maschine is styled the same as the mikro, as in one master or super knob. On top of all that, the module tabs that run along the top of big maschine aren't on the mikro.

Ultimately, the total package as far as functionality/software go they're the same. However, I gather that with the Mikro you'll be referencing your computer screen a lot and having to SHIFT+ _____ to perform many functions that have dedicated pads/buttons. That or resort to the point & clicking. Like I said, I don't use the Mikro, but from what I've gathered it MAY slow down the workflow a bit, unless you're absolutely dedicated to learning it inside out (as you should) and the SHIFT+ functions become second nature.

Hopefully, this helps in your decision. Either way I'm sure you'll love the Maschine!

All the encoders and buttons that are missing from the Mikro make a big difference. I found that I couldn't abide the mikro because missing all of these slows down the use of the Maschine software significantly. If you're planning to using it to control Traktor, you'll miss the encoders for controlling effects and the ability to deeply map like this: http://tinyurl.com/bvo5d9x

The Maschine Mikro is still good at what it does if you just plain can't afford the full maschine or don't have space for it. But I wouldn't trade my Maschine for a Mikro + money. No way in hell.

Tech Mentor

well traktor doesn't need another controller right now. this is going to be purely for maschine software. what it was made for. i cant really justify some of the price ranges of mascnine MK1... but it also seems like its the only one one that can do what i want, so i might have to. i was thinking mikro to get into it, and if i start to dig it alot, then maschine?
    ~2 X Gemini XL 500II~ I ~Vestax PMC-05 PROII~ I ~Audio 4 DJ~ I ~Traktor Scratch Pro 2~