Solo DJ'ing or two or more?

Default Solo DJ'ing or two or more?

Title pretty much explains, which do you prefer? I play solo right now but have a friend that also DJ's and wants to work together. I'm eager to hear from the community on what they think?

Depends on your skill level.
    If youre both pretty good and can make a good set together thats fun. ie; incorporating midi, cue point juggling, scratching.
    For house music its pretty boring.

I had a friend who asked me to Dj with him and show him around.
    2 weeks in he acts like a hot shot pro local DJ when he owns NO HARDWARE gear and knows almost NOTHING about Djing. So I ditched him.
    He Djs out of his laptop for 30bucks a night at some bar these days....

Quote Originally Posted by ST4R View Post
    Depends on your skill level.
    If youre both pretty good and can make a good set together thats fun. ie; incorporating midi, cue point juggling, scratching.
    For house music its pretty boring.

I had a friend who asked me to Dj with him and show him around.
    2 weeks in he acts like a hot shot pro local DJ when he owns NO HARDWARE gear and knows almost NOTHING about Djing. So I ditched him. He Djs out of his laptop for 30bucks a night at some bar these days....

I definitely beg to differ, the only people I have seen do the duo djing thing well is people playing house/jackin so...

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I definitely beg to differ, the only people I have seen do the duo djing thing well is people playing house/jackin so...
    Oh of course ^_^

But most House "duos" just take turns mixing in songs.. something that can be done with one person.

I think the most exciting way 2 DJs can work as a duo is with MIDI. such as live mashups, live synth etc.

Relevant DJTT Article: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/0...-your-friends/

You have to be mixing with someone you work well with. I love to tag but it's also something that I don't particularly like doing all the time, and it's something that I don't care for doing live if I've never tagged with someone before. I've only tagged out live once with a DJ in my crew whom I've never tagged with before. It was a fun experience but it's also something that... I don't particularly want to do again. I'd almost rather just sit out the set and wait for my chance to shine, or tag with someone I have a lot of practice going back to back with.

Communication while spinning is super important. Having the same ideas of where you want to go. What happens when you both aren't able to make it to a gig that you might be booked for? Just fly it solo? Do you want your name and reputation to be tied up with someone else?

Honestly, unless you are producing together, I don't really suggest doing the dual DJing thing. It's one of those things that may initially get you more bookings in the short run but has a ton of possibility of something going wrong and just being a huge pain in the balls.

If you are going to be doing it though, I'd have it be a side project. Use a different name, get bookings on your own as well. And just have fun.

I have a friend who I want to do some tag sets with, specifically with Tech/Jackin' house actually. But we're also both doing our own things... we just practice a lot together back to back, and chill a lot. But I wouldn't want that to be the main thing I was being booked for honestly. As much as I like tag sets... being able to plan the whole thing out yourself? I like doing that.

That's my personal opinion on it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

DJ Duo's can be a great way to get element of surprise back into DJing. One thing that I love about going to see other DJ's play is I don't know what they're going to play. As a DJ you sort of lose this element of surprise because obviously know what you will be playing.

As a duo though you get that back because you don't always know what the other person is going to do/play.

However choose very wisely who you decide to team up with and recognize your strengths and weaknesses. Communication is key here too. Decide on how you see the night unfolding and go from there.

Another important thing is commitment level. I've had duo's in the past where one person was bringing more to the table. It's not fun. You should be able to vibe off the other guys idea's/creativity.

Basically unless you are doing things as a duo that you couldn't accomplish on your own i.e. live remixing with instruments, heavy sample layering, audio/visual show, then stay single.

Tech Wizard

I mixed alone so far but now I'm spinning with two other buddies and it's a lot of fun.There's 3 times more creativity and of course
    a HUGE library of tracks. Sure the mix will not be as structured as if you were alone but there's a ton of perks: you can go for a smoke, interact with people, go to the bathrooms, buy a drink to a lady and of course talk with your partners of the direction to take with the mix. Potentially it's also 3 times more contacts for getting gigs. Remember that the most important thing is to have partners that you can rely on.