Beginning DJ, Gear choices
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beginning DJ, Gear choices

So I'm new, and i would like some gear advice.
    My budget is around $200 for each piece of gear needed, except headphones, where my budget is about $70.
    as for software, i will be going with tracktor.
    Currently I am thinking the Behringer CMD studio 4a, (when it comes out) as it seems to be the best in my price range (correct me if I'm wrong).
    As for monitors i have no idea, although I am leaning slightly towards the Gemini SR-6.
    No idea what is a good headphone for my price, there are sooo many different kinds.

I would appreciate and advice whatsoever you could give on this matter.
    I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by karter34; 12-04-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Tech Mentor

chose the software before you chose the hardware!
    there are free trial versions of every legit dj-software. test them all and then get e controler that goes best with the one you like to use.
    traktor: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...3b30&page=1975
    serato: http://serato.com/downloads
    vdj: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/free.html

Have a look at the "Numark Mixtrack pro" or "Reloop Mixage MKII". For software, I suggest you to download some demo's from VirtualDJ an Traktor and play with it. Then decide wich suits you the most.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

^what these guys said. Play with the software before thinking about hardware. Each controller is better for certain software, if you get the wrong controller, you will be a sad panda.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

I love how no one uses technics anymore

Tech Convert

thanks for your guys input, i will be going with tracktor. still leaning towards the Behringer, as it is four decks to give me plenty of room to improve before i outgrow it. thoughts?

I was in the same situation as you, a couple of months ago, however, I realized a fact. To have this hobby, being a DJ is expensive. So, if you are really in to it I suggest you buy something with better quality, perhaps a Traktor S2, or even better, a Denon DN MC-3000. I think they are around 400-450$. And I tell you, it is worth it in the end! The quality you get from a MC-3000 is amazing.
    Thus, you should start with only software, if you love it, just go!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Quist View Post
    I was in the same situation as you, a couple of months ago, however, I realized a fact. To have this hobby, being a DJ is expensive. So, if you are really in to it I suggest you buy something with better quality, perhaps a Traktor S2, or even better, a Denon DN MC-3000. I think they are around 400-450$. And I tell you, it is worth it in the end! The quality you get from a MC-3000 is amazing.
    Thus, you should start with only software, if you love it, just go!
    i wish i could do that, but since i'm not the one putting up the money, its my parents, i don't really have that option, since they want to make sure i'm into it before they spend a ton ($600+ on one piece of gear is a ton to them), so i just have to buy cheap gear and make a couple of mixes that sound half decent, then upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by karter34 View Post
    thanks for your guys input, i will be going with tracktor. still leaning towards the Behringer, as it is four decks to give me plenty of room to improve before i outgrow it. thoughts?
    I'd worry about 2 decks first... I've been DJing for 10 years and rarely use a 3rd let alone 4th deck..

Not to say it's not a useful feature, I just wouldn't treat it as a "selling point" early on.

Yeah, don't touch a 4 deck until you can get a 2 deck down. It's just too much to handle.

Mixtrack pro is your best choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast