New Years Eve Rate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default New Years Eve Rate?

What's up guys, potentially got my first gig (outside of local house parties) at a small bar downtown this New Years Eve. What is the going rate for dj's NYE? Hear that its usual double normal - Im wondering what to push for without selling myself short or undercharging. 100-150 people probably. Will bring my own PA system they will have, strobe, fog lights, lasers, etc.

*Edit - Gig is 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks!
    tricks
    Last edited by tricks; 12-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.

I generally charge double. But every situation is unique, if it's your first real gig I wouldn't be charging too much, enough to cover your time and efforts, but treat it as a learning experience.

Tech Wizard

So they "asked around but still want [me] to do it" They said everyone they asked ballparked between $200-$250.. to me that seems a little low for new years eve and bringing your own PA system.. im considering it since it will be at a local bar i want to get my foot in the door in for the spring. Basically some acquaintances of mine are setting up the event and will be with local friends from my city. They are charing $40 in advance ($50 at the door) for open bar for the night (3 and 1/2 hours total). Dont know if this is to low of an offer? Part of me wants to do it but I know NYE can be very high stress to DJ and also theres also the point where Im basically giving up my night to dj.

Any more thoughts?

Here's an interesting thought I just read -

$xxx would be a good price for you to charge to go out and DJ in your area.

The important point is that you are going in at an average price so you're not too expensive and you're not too cheap. A lot of people may be suspicious or cautious if you are the cheapest, so that's why I would suggest choosing a price in the middle.

Read more: http://www.crazypellas.net/cms/dj-ti...#ixzz2EEZWTpFX
    Last edited by tricks; 12-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.

My normal rate for New Year's is around 172 BPM
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

i charge $10,000.00 per half hour plus tax
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    My normal rate for New Year's is around 172 BPM
    hahahah i concur!!!

I normally ask for a "get out of jail free card" in return for a few hours of djing.
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

Rates depend on your area really. In my area, bars don't pay very well. $100-$200 for a DJ. Hell, I've seen 4 piece bands only making $250-$350, and that's bringing their own PA and lights.

This being your first bar gig, I'd go for it. 3.5 hours isn't giving up your whole night either. You'll still have plenty of party time depending on when you start.

Tech Guru

Offer $250, describe what equipment you'll be bringing, tell them you'll set up extra early, BE THERE extra early, draw up a "contract" and print it out for them, have them sign it next to your signature. You'll seem/feel more professional.

Dude, if its ur first gig.. think about it this way:
    1. No other job will get you $50 an hour

2. Next time someone asks, you can say that the lowest you've ever charged is $50 an hour.. eventually you'll make your way up the pay scale.

3. If you do well enough, they will at least ask you back to a future event.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast