Sónar (Barcelona, June 2013)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sónar (Barcelona, June 2013)

http://www.sonar.es/en/2013/

So I have to be in Spain next June so I decided to head up early and go to Sonar. Anyone go to this before that can tell me anything about it? How expensive is Barcelona?

The conference I'm going to is not until June 24th; I'm thinking of doing some traveling for the 10 days in between. Would it be worth heading down to Ibiza for a few days? Do cities in Spain party on June 21st like they do in Paris for La Fete de la Musique? I was actually thinking of heading to Paris for the 21st but since I've already been there for that I wonder if I should be looking at other cities in Spain, France, or elsewhere. On the 24th I have to be in Gijon for what it's worth.

Thanks for any ideas, tips, pointers, etc.!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

YES!! Sónar is awesome. If you get the abono ticket you can go to the day and night parts, both are good fun. The day bit is cool, you can meet industry peeps and see some new gear if you're lucky. They have some interesting demonstrations and lectures. It also happens to take place approximately 30s walk from my old flat in the beautiful Pla dels Angels.

The night part is crazy, I warn you. It's basically a convention centre with 4 or 5 massive stages and sick sound systems. Assuming it hasn't changed since I was there in 2010, security once you're in is minimal, you will see people smoking inside in their thousands even though it's illegal now and you'll see blatant drug taking like it's normal. TBH undilated pupils will be few and far between, and won't necessarily come in pairs. Drinks in there are horribly expensive and the queues are a nightmare.

Barcelona as a whole isn't too expensive unless you hit the clubs on the beach. Most of the city bars and clubs are open really late and are reasonably priced. Drink sizes are good too, there's no skimping on the spirits. If you like beer, Estrella is everywhere but look out for Moritz - especially their 'epidor'. Outstanding lager.

Let me know whatever you want to know, I lived in BCN for 9 months so I know my way around Do you speak any spanish?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Entiendo un poco, but I can't speak worth a crap, and what little I do I learned from Cubans and Mexicans so I'm sure I pronounce everything wrong for Spain. Will definitely hit you up for more specifics as the time approaches. Thanks!

No worries mate, anything I can do to help. If I had the money I'd come over and join you there!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Necrobumping this thread as Sonar is fast approaching; I'm getting in to BCN the 11th... Incredibly excited about seeing Kraftwerk and C2C but I haven't really looked through the rest of the lineup recently. Oh and I've found a Spanish-speaking travel buddy Anyone else going to be there?

I went last year but didn't bother with a festival ticket. Just hit RA and check out the off sonar parties and plan your week. I was there for 9 days and only spent just over 400 euros. Taxis are nice and cheap, club entry is average (Macarena Mar beach bar is free). If you're in the mood for a festival, EastEnder is a good option - smaller, very little queuing.
    I may even go out again this year.

Tech Mentor

F**k! I live in barcelona but I can't go you're gonna have some cool time there, I heard this year's lineup is pretty awesome (btw does deadmau5 go to sonar or this year he doesnt come?) also the touristic part of bcn is very cool so you will enjoy your trip to spain

Quote Originally Posted by matrick View Post
    I went last year but didn't bother with a festival ticket. Just hit RA and check out the off sonar parties and plan your week. I was there for 9 days and only spent just over 400 euros. Taxis are nice and cheap, club entry is average (Macarena Mar beach bar is free). If you're in the mood for a festival, EastEnder is a good option - smaller, very little queuing.
    I may even go out again this year.
    Holy crap, there's another festival the same time as Sonar? Nice.... Checking it out now; Dubfire and Miss Kittin among other acts look possibly worth the effort. Already got my Sonar tix but will check RA for the off parties. Looks like there will be a lot going on there! I plan to do some sight seeing as well and then hitting Ibiza the following week.

Tech Mentor

I will be hitting Sonar and some of the off parties as well, from the 11th until 18! Would be nice to meet any of you around there!

Damn I'm gonna need a spreadsheet to keep track of all these sonar off parties! Insane.

Anyone have (vinyl) record store suggestions for Barcelona (or Ibiza)? I found this interesting list http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Analog...s_in_barcelona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast