Recovering unfinished Traktor Recordings
    Tech Student

Default Recovering unfinished Traktor Recordings

Hi all, I just wanted to ask for a little technical advice on an issue I've just had recently.

Yesterday, I was finishing up a set on Traktor with the built-in mix recorder active in the background. As I'd finished and went to quit, I realised that the mix recorder was still recording (which is something I'm normally aware of stopping before I exit). As a result, Traktor hung on "Flushing Background Tasks" which in turn, rendered the WAV file unreadable by just about every media player I've tried.

My question is, would I be able to repair the file by "tying up the loose ends" where the mix did not finish recording successfully. I didn't know whether there was an app of some sorts that would allow me to trim the end data of the file where it had become corrupt. It's a good solid 450mb file which leads me to believe that there's enough usable data in the file.

Luckily, it was a long set and Traktor had already split up the files automatically, all of which work perfectly, so I'm only trying to save the last hour of the set (typically, my personal favourite section!)

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Did you try opening it in audio editing software, like Audacity? I quickly googled fixing corrupt wav and that was one of the first suggestions. Or if that doesn't work maybe Google has more tips.

I know this doesn't help but since it's somewhat related, I remember once forgetting to stop recording and quitting Traktor, but I guess I got lucky, the file was just as it'd be if I stopped recording myself.

Hope you can rectify the problem. Cheers.

Tech Student

That's definitely something I'll try when I'm back from work today. I should have considered that first, really. I just thought DJTT might be a good resource in case any one has corrupted their recordings in the same way. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LampEight View Post
    Hi all, I just wanted to ask for a little technical advice on an issue I've just had recently.

Yesterday, I was finishing up a set on Traktor with the built-in mix recorder active in the background. As I'd finished and went to quit, I realised that the mix recorder was still recording (which is something I'm normally aware of stopping before I exit). As a result, Traktor hung on "Flushing Background Tasks" which in turn, rendered the WAV file unreadable by just about every media player I've tried.

My question is, would I be able to repair the file by "tying up the loose ends" where the mix did not finish recording successfully. I didn't know whether there was an app of some sorts that would allow me to trim the end data of the file where it had become corrupt. It's a good solid 450mb file which leads me to believe that there's enough usable data in the file.

Luckily, it was a long set and Traktor had already split up the files automatically, all of which work perfectly, so I'm only trying to save the last hour of the set (typically, my personal favourite section!)

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Yes you can use audacity to trim the parts you don't want. I use it all the time and its free. You just highlight what you dont want delete. Pretty easy to use. Then you can export it as an mp3 or wav file but only up to 16bit

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by m2lawren View Post
    Yes you can use audacity to trim the parts you don't want... You just highlight what you dont want delete.
    It's not so much that I have unwanted audio I want to trim off of the recording; I usually will do that with Audacity anyway. It's more that the file is corrupt - iTunes, QuickTime and VLC won't recognise it - and that I want to recover what has been recorded successfully.