[idiot post] Sync Traktor + Maschine with midi cable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [idiot post] Sync Traktor + Maschine with midi cable

Dear all,

Never thought I'd sink as deep as this. But I'm all out of ideas. Searched the forum, searched youtube, googled. I try to sync my traktor to my maschine, through my XONE:4D with a midi cable. Did all the things all tut's are telling me to, but maschine is midi-deaf or there's no midi going through my cable.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this? A way of seeing wether the clock signal is actually sent.

Even better, anybody out there running the same setup?
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Are you just trying to sync Traktor and Maschine? This should all be done via SW...

Do you have Traktor sending out midi clock?
    Is the play button clicked in the master clock?
    Do you have the option in Maschine to receive External midi clock?

http://www.traktorbible.com/en/t2_ma...ync.aspx#step1
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

I have wo pc's One running Maschine, one running traktor.

Traktor is sending the clock. All settings are done as instructed. The 4D's internal Midi clock is switched off. Maschine is set to recieve external midi. I've tried to sync it to the 4D's midi signal, but nothing happens.

Midi cable is in the 4D's DIN midi out, and the maschine controller mid in.

All tut's mention making a generic midi device, but I assume I don't need to make a second one as the 4D is allready my midi device in traktor.

The 4D user manual states that the midi out replicated all midi that is sent through USB.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    I have wo pc's One running Maschine, one running traktor.
    Why?

Is there are reason they can't come out of the same computer?

your 4d should show up as a midi in in the maschine midi inputs section of its settings
    if not then its probably a driver thing
    it could be that you don't have midi in enabled in maschine, it may show but you still have to click on it and enable it
    then check is clock send enabled in traktor and the play/send clock on
    then check the maschine option 'sync to midi clock' is selected
    if still no then it may be time to check with a midi monitor and read up on the 4d and the way in which it sends its own clock

all that being said midi clock drift suuuuuucks when trying to sync with traktor in windows, better off just dialling it in and using nudge controls for the maschine, aannnd given it doesn't have them use it as a VST in live and use lives.

you can map lives transport controls to another controller and nudge with that or... if you like switching back and forth just map them in the midi mode

interested to hear how much drift you encounter...

Why 2 pc's? I use a 1.7 centrino for traktor, which works just fine, but is not powerfull enough to run both. The second laptop is a core duo 2,33 ghz and just manages maschine if I don't add two instances of massive. So its a processor thing.

The traktor laptop is connected to the 4D, the maschine laptop sends spdiff to the 4D. The 4D and the maschine controller are connected through midi cable. In Maschine I see no midi in or out devices. I expected the controller to show as a midi device...

How do i enable midi in themaschine sofware? i cliched "sync to external midi"

If this does not work i may try to sync through ethernet.

Why 2 pc's? I use a 1.7 centrino for traktor, which works just fine, but is not powerfull enough to run both. The second laptop is a core duo 2,33 ghz and just manages maschine if I don't add two instances of massive. So its a processor thing.

The traktor laptop is connected to the 4D, the maschine laptop sends spdiff to the 4D. The 4D and the maschine controller are connected through midi cable. In Maschine I see no midi in or out devices. I expected the controller to show as a midi device...

How do i enable midi in themaschine sofware? i cliched "sync to external midi"

If this does not work i may try to sync through ethernet.
    Maschine doesn't receive clock data from a device, it receives clock data from a raw MIDI output. If you have Maschine's built in DIN MIDI port set as the input port, and "sync to external" turned on, the sequencer should snap to the clock signal, and should be passively receiving that clock signal as the 4D/Traktor sends it. The issue is between Traktor and the 4D.

"The device" meaning the maschine contrller itself. It does not show as a midi input device in the maschine software. It has the DIN plug connected for midi receiving fron the midi out of the 4D.

How do I set up maschine to have the din input plug as the midi input? There is nothing in the manuals about this.
    Last edited by boarderbas; 12-10-2012 at 09:42 AM.

"The device" meaning the maschine contrller itself. It does not show as a midi input device in the maschine software. It has the DIN plug connected for midi receiving fron the midi out of the 4D.

How do I set up maschine to have the din input plug as the midi input? There is nothing in the manuals about this.
    It's on page 54. File -> Sync to exernal MIDI clock.

there should be a list of midi in's in the maschine routing settings, one of them should be maschine midi in, another for instance could be a midi keyboard or the xone4d

using the cable should be fine, the cable comes out of xone and into the maschine right?

three things need to be happening:
    1) xone4d->DIN cable
    the xone should be sending midi clock signal somehow, maybe it does it all the time or maybe there is some kind of transport control on the xone itself, if you are not sure if this is happening I suggest to use a midi monitor to listen to see if something is being sent

2)DIN cable->maschine midi in
    the maschine midi inputs settings (file-audio and midi settings-midi-inputs) should have 'maschine mk2 in' to status=on

3)slave maschine to the midi clock signal
    file-sync to external clock=ticked

if 'maschine mk2 in' is not showing as a device then maybe it is a driver issue, once maschine is properly installed it should show up as long as you are plugged in via usb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast