Earbuds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earbuds

Default Earbuds

About a year go I used a pair of sennheiser earbuds for a while until they broke (luckily I sweet talked the customer service at best buy into giving me the price of the buds in store credit). After that I resolved not to spend large amounts of money on earbuds -- the wear and tear of everyday use is dangerous for all kinds of headphones.

I've been using the apple earpods that came with my iphone for a while now, and I'm not pleased. The bass is too heavy (using the phone's EQ prefs does nothing to help), and they don't sound good period.

My question for you all: In-ear headphones in the $50 range (if they are extremely durable/have a good warranty, that price can definitely be upped) and with high sound quality.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Have to say I was pretty darn impressed by the Marshall Minor's... for $50 worth checking out. The Cable is a nice less tangly fabric type material as well which is less prone to damage.

I have a pair of the Sennheiser CX380 Sports that I picked up for a lowly $25 and they do the trick nicely in the gym with EQ set to Bass Reducer (normally $100+).

Also check out Ultimate Ears and Shure - you can pick up bargains on them if you shop around.

But Almost ANY $10 set of ear buds will be a zillion times better in sound quality than the apple ones - try before you buy if at all possible.
    Last edited by deevey; 12-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

The tl;dr: Shure SE 215's are really good but double your budget, and I wouldn't use them for DJing unless in a pinch.

The meat n' potatoes:
    If you're willing to double your budget the Shure SE 215's are pretty solid at $100, had em about 7 months now and they've been pretty good to me. I bought em mainly for when I was in Europe over the summer, now I use them pretty much anytime I'm not at home because of how convenient they are.
    The frequency range leave a little bit to be desired compared to my main headphones (Ultrasone DJ1 Pros), the bass is comparatively a bit weaker not as fully defined, the highs don't go as high and at higher volumes they can get a little shrill (could just be my ears telling me to turn the music the hell down though lol) but overall the sound is fairly smooth. Noise cancelling is pretty good on these but it's pretty dependant on how well the different buds your ears. The cable goes up around the back of your ear which is a far more stable fit than just sitting in your ear and I find they overall fit me fairly well (I use the small-sized, rubber buds on mine).
    For being in-ear, travel headphones they're pretty great, would I use them for DJing though? Only in a pinch. They've got a replaceable cable (awesome feature), different sizes and types of buds, cleaning tools (wax build-up will happen), zippered carrying pouch... oh and get the black ones rather than the clear 'cause I've been told the clears can change to some pretty nasty colours. Came with a 2 year warrantee too which is nice. For Definitely worth considering if not just getting if you're willing to up your budget.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

For walking around I'm using the Sennheiser CX-150, I think they were $20 I'm on my second pair after about 2.5 years. Only problem I had with this pair was losing the ear piece which I replaced with one of the silicone ones from an old pair of Sony that broke. I lost the previous pair. The sound on these seem pretty well balanced to me, the only downside is no frills like mic or volume control but not like I really care about either of those features. Probably the best bang for the buck in the sub $100 ear buds I've tried.

Tech Wizard

I tend to go through earbuds pretty quickly. I have had a few sets of Skull Candy and they only seemed to last a month or so. Got Ear Bangers and was impressed with the quality for the price but they didn't end up lasting. Now I'm using Beats by Dre and while they seem to be the best so far, I still had to return the first pair a month or two in. Best Buy has a pretty good warranty.
    Lenovo T400, Ableton Live 8, Axiom 25, APC40, Auido 2, KRK Rokit 6, Pioneer HJD1500 and a wish list spanning coast to coast.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    I'm using Beats by Dre and while they seem to be the best so far
    I'm sorry but I'm going to go right ahead and disregard everything in that post.

To everyone else: I'm looking at the Klipsch S4 IIs, and they seem to be a very solid choice especially if I get the 3-year warranty for $15 that covers everything including user-induced damage (drops, spills, ect)

Anybody have these?

Tech Wizard

I'm sorry but I'm going to be sure to not contribute to any of your threads any more. No need to be a prick.
    Lenovo T400, Ableton Live 8, Axiom 25, APC40, Auido 2, KRK Rokit 6, Pioneer HJD1500 and a wish list spanning coast to coast.

All you'll ever need to reference for IEM.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-11-29-12
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm going to be sure to not contribute to any of your threads any more. No need to be a prick.
    You're recommending Beats by Dre on DJTT.

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    All you'll ever need to reference for IEM.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-11-29-12
    Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I was looking for. The Vsonic GR06s just shipped.

beyerdynamic mmx-101 is my fav in ear, good value for money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast