Planet Digital DJ is alive (well "beta")
    Tech Guru

Default Planet Digital DJ is alive (well "beta")

Some of you might have noticed be babble about making a planet, essentially an aggregation of blogs, of all feeds related to digital DJing. Why bother? The idea is that instead of having to tediously collect and maintain a list of feeds related to digital DJing, you can simply subscribe to this feed and be done with it. This way new guys on the scene can quickly also get read by people. In this way the community exchange is hopefully strengthened.

At first I was planning to sit down and code up something based on the PHP planet, however then I realized that I can do something like this quite easily with Yahoo Pipes. One of the cool aspects of Pipes is that you can actually easily copy or build on top of this "Pipe". If you have questions about this let me know here with a comment.

If we ever get to the point that things get too much, I can see to further limiting the feeds by category (say we could have one feed with everything, one with traktor, one with ableton .. one for live mixing, one for production etc). But first lets see how this goes.

So here it is:
    http://pipes.yahoo.com/digitaldj/planet

However this might not be the final location and appearance of this service. I have actually been talking to Ean about this a while ago in regards to integrating this service into the DJTT site. Alternatively I might integrate it into my site and give it less of a Yahoo style look. Or it will just stay where it is.

Anyways, let me know if you want to be included. Just give me the URL to your site and/or feed and I will add you. If you blog about many different topics, please try to give me a feed of a category that focuses on digital DJing so that we dont end up with posts about your cat's life on that feed.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

awesome work brother. feel free to include my feed, though i mainly update it with information on mix/track releases and event info for me and the Labwerx crew.

http://www.indydesigns.net/wp/?feed=rss2
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

I will have to ponder this one. I have actually coded up something for DJTT that will hopefully soon enable the DJTT community to promote their events.

As for mixes, I am also not sure what the best approach is here. We already have the Soundcloud for promoting mixes in the DJTT community.

So for now I am trying to keep the planet focused on how to DJ, techniques, tools, software and stuff like that.

However I am all ears to what you guys think make sense. Like I said, I can easily try and provide multiple feeds with varying focus.

Another question is if I should include feeds from software/hardware companies. They usually pump out a news bit a month or so. Then again, neither Traktor, nor Ableton or Vestax seem to provide an RSS feed of their announcements and while I could screen scrape their news, I dont think that makes a lot of sense.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

I have added a few more blogs.
    Some more details about the idea and future plans can be found on my blog:
    http://ifnotwhynot.me/planet-digital-dj

Tech Wizard

How about a manually maintained Linked List, à-la Daring Fireball’s, but for digital DJ-ing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linklog

Tech Guru

That is also kind of supported already. In the left hand column you can see all the URL's that are read to produce the planet feed.

Tech Guru

just wanted to bump this up once more.
    it seems like the feed will remain as it is.
    if you look it up on the web site there is a fair bit of a delay, but that shouldnt matter if you stick the feed into your rss feedreader.

anyways i am quite happy with how it works. there is still plenty of room to add some more feeds with relevant content, so let me know if you would like to see another feed on there. also remember that many sites have category based feeds, so even if the site itself might be a bit too off topic for most of its posts, we might be able to extract the relevant posts via selecting the feed for a specific category.

anyways i hope some of you find this useful ...