Prepping laptop for gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Prepping laptop for gig

Remember reading a post ages ago with tips on what to do to your laptop (running Traktor Pro 2.5) to make it as reliable as possible before a gig. No chance I'll find it now so wondering what things people recommend other than turning wifi off?

Run game booster so it will boost traktors CPU output and lower everything else!

Also save your playlist with cues n everything to a usb stick just in case..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Run game booster so it will boost traktors CPU output and lower everything else!

Will look into that cheers.

Remember there was all sorts you could do like turning off other stuff, just can't remember what.

I don't have a playlist or hotcues anyway, but I'll definitely whack all my stuff on a usb stick as well as the collections file.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Will look into that cheers.

Remember there was all sorts you could do like turning off other stuff, just can't remember what.

I don't have a playlist or hotcues anyway, but I'll definitely whack all my stuff on a usb stick as well as the collections file.
    Im assuming you have a PC cause you didn't say macbook.

Running game booster is the same as turning off other stuff. It does the exact same thing, just without you having to manually turn off everything before you play. Just start up game booster and turn off your wifi!

would not recommend this at all, don't muck with OS scheduling. can create instability.

my recommendation is create a new user for performing under that you only log in to for that. disable all startup applications, if you're on windows, turn off all the visual crap (go to the most basic skin, no 3d effects, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by protocollie View Post
    would not recommend this at all, don't muck with OS scheduling. can create instability.
    I would say dont listen to him^

I was recommended by tons of techtools mods. Its also the only way a lot of kids can even run traktor so..

I would say dont listen to him^

I was recommended by tons of techtools mods. Its also the only way a lot of kids can even run traktor so..
    Edit: looked at it, all it does is kill some unnecessary processes. you can accomplish this just as effectively by creating a user that you log into solely for the purpose of performing, and that way you get the added benefit of having separate configuration as well. apologies for the knee jerk reaction, you described it as something very different.
    Last edited by protocollie; 12-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Tech Guru

Im assuming you have a PC cause you didn't say macbook.

Running game booster is the same as turning off other stuff. It does the exact same thing, just without you having to manually turn off everything before you play. Just start up game booster and turn off your wifi!
    Yeah, on a VAIO. Should have mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by protocollie View Post

my recommendation is create a new user for performing under that you only log in to for that. disable all startup applications, if you're on windows, turn off all the visual crap (go to the most basic skin, no 3d effects, etc.)
    Creating a new user sounds like a good idea actually, might go down that route, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Creating a new user sounds like a good idea actually, might go down that route, cheers.
    No problem.

See also:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/10/0...-dual-booting/

The second part is more extreme but kind of your 'best possible option,' and probably best done when you have downtime, not right before a gig.

edit:

also found this older article about how to specifically configure that user account; looks a little dated but a lot of the information is still fairly accurate.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/1...e_windows_djs/

Tech Guru

Thanks for those links. Gigs only on Saturday so have a bit of time to play around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast