Possibly playing first club gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Possibly playing first club gig

Hey guys, my buddy calls me tonight and decides to tell me we have the opportunity to play in a club... thing is it's this thursday (ladies night) and would be our first public gig. Talk about leaving the bedroom. It's definitely a conservative top 40's crowd. I'm just wondering, can I really get away with doing a gig by doing simple smooth transitions from song to song? I think i've set a really high standard for what a Dj should be able to do, in my mind that means very complex transitions and being able to mash up songs on the fly, and i'm definitely not at that point yet. I guess what I'm getting it is do we take this opportunity or take the time to get better.

Tech Mentor

Do it! The experience is invaluable. Most dj's just do smooth transitions. Alot of it is reading the crowd and song selection. Trust your instincts too. I was meant to play house, electro and techno (basically whatever I wanted to play) for a 21st. Turn up and they decide they want me to play pop. I had a few pop songs and some remixes. They went down okay but got old quick and people started leaving and I was still playing what they wanted. It wasn't until I started playing what I wanted to play that heaps of people came back. In short, people don't know what they want although they might think so at times!

It's a ladies night, it doesn't take much to get ladies dancing! Have good tracks and keep it varied and then you can take it deeper as the night goes on and people get more drunk.

Pop can be hard too mix because of abrupt endings, keep the loop trigger close for this one. One more thing, a remix of a pop song may go down a lot better in some cases and it will be a lot easier to mix (4 to the floor kick @ 128bpm)

One crowd pleasing mix I did was from a house track into Lady Gaga - Poker face (*ducks* to avoid flying midi controllers) The synth solo at the beginning is killer. Alot of pop songs are like that and you can ride the intro looping for a while, I did it a few times, intentionally and unintentionally.

Good luck, and don't forget a few pop oldies - 80's and 90's stuff. Better get practicing, you don't have long.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Agree with the first reply.

Far too much emphasis on your technical skills.

What is actually the most important thing is what tunes you play.

I disagree, what's most important is that you get out there!

There will be many more gigs to come but only one first, you should scratch it off your list now and if you mess up somewhere, whatever, that's what people do

You'll do great.

I say do it now that you are still learning. You can practice all you want but it doesn't matter too much until you are watching a crowd, seeing them move (or not) and interpreting what your next move is.

My only suggestion is, when you get more gigs be more picky... Not to picky, just start deciding what you want to do with music. What makes you feel good to play. I've been offered a lot of gigs like this, but the only appeal to me was money. So I had to decline. Being a producer, I try to stay kind of close to what I make, so I can play my own stuff.

None the less, give it a try. You may love the hell out of it.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by laurens View Post
    Lady Gaga - Poker face
    *thwack*
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Make sure you got all your cables, and some for back-up. Show up early to plug everything in and test the sound, so you feel comfortable while playing for the crowd. Play several genres to see what the crowd responds to the most (RnB,Pop;House etc), than crank it up your style in the later hours. In the first few hours, keep mixing simple, dont do too much tricks. Then, when everyone is quite drunk you can start to amaze them, at this point most of them wont notice the most mistakes, in case you do any

Dont just bring tunes you like or think about playing, there may be a request for a song that you dont like personally but the lady on the dancefloor likes it

Think about 70´s,80´s and all those Lady-songs, maybe its raining man

But most importantly, dont worry. You can do it. As long as you enjoy yourself its all good. Remember, its your first gig, there´s only one. If you mess up or if you do great doesnt matter that much as long as you have a good time the crowd will too

oh, and in case you use a midicontroller make sure you have the most important actions mapped to your keyboard in case your usb fucks up, or your platters act strange, or your pitch. Base can be a bitch sometimes

have fun, and make sure you post your experience here
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Definitely have redundancy cables with you, make sure you're set with your gear, practice your breakdown and set up.

If it's just a top40 crowd, then basic transitions will probably work just fine. Do a few small chunks of more complicated stuff to see how they respond, but just keep the tracks coming.

And remember, people do need breaks. You have a bar there, they want money. If you're just pumping jam after jam out people won't go to the bar as much.

Unless they are paying you bank, make sure to have fun. Triple check your gear before you leave the house, and bring a backup (CDs, ipod with RCA hookup, anything) in case things go to shit.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by greatmesk View Post
    oh, and in case you use a midicontroller make sure you have the most important actions mapped to your keyboard in case your usb fucks up, or your platters act strange, or your pitch. Base can be a bitch sometimes
    Great tip!

And I like Lady Gaga...

Bottom line, do it! or someone else will get their foot in there. If you are asking if you should do it then you must think you are ready otherwise you wouldn't consider it. So have fun, be prepared and see how it goes. its sounds like you will be fine! Good luck, let us know how you made out!
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast