I'd like to ask advice about DDJ-SX and Traktor Z2

Default I'd like to ask advice about DDJ-SX and Traktor Z2

Hi
    I'd like to ask advice about DDJ-SX and Traktor Z2

Actually, I'm not supposed to consider about this question before I came to America.
    I'm just international student for learning English and I've been in NY almost 11 month
    then.. I think around 6 month ago, I was interested in DJ and I started to learn it, but I'm still fool.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna go back to Korea for graduating my school and have to care my life hahahaa
    so, I'm gonna buy DJ controller like a souvenir and I'll use it to be a DJ.

Would you guys prefer to use DDJ-SX or Z2?

thank you for reading even my Eng is poor.

DDJ-SX is all in one controller and it's for Serato.
    Z2 is a mixer, if you want a similar set up to DDJ-SX you would probably need to consider Kontrol S4 (or S2 for two decks).
    Also if you're just buying it as a "souvenir" and you're only beginning to learn DJ trade, why don't you go for something more budget oriented and see if that's your calling. From top of my head Stanton DJC.4, Numark Mixtrack Pro, Vestax VCI 100, Denon MC3000, Reloop Terminal Mix 4. That's just a start.
    You're kind of comparing apples and oranges here.

Just picked up a z2, if size is a concern the z2 or ddj sx is out of the picture. The sound quality of the z2 is really nice, compared to a lot of traktor controllers. The build quality is really nice too. I'd say its pretty solid compared to the s2s build. The faders are really smooth as well. I have never owned anything that is full metal construction so I wouldn't be able to compare, but I'm really happy with this mixers quality.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Convert

I'm selling my DDJ-SX when it arrives and just got a Z2 for $620, X1 for $160, and F1 for $210. The z2 is just a mixer tho and is limited in transport controls and effects. The DDJ-SX and S4 have 4 channels and jog wheels, etc. I would agree with monogamee and say you should get like a S2 or VCI-100 (if you have a good sound interface).

For real DJ's I feel NI blows Serato DJ out of the water with Traktor. It's like 50 effects vs. 5 with almost limitless expansion (but that's a whole other story).

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post

For real DJ's I feel NI blows Serato DJ out of the water with Traktor. It's like 50 effects vs. 5 with almost limitless expansion (but that's a whole other story).
    Because real DJs need dozens of effects?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Because real DJs need dozens of effects?
    Oh lawd, here we go. I was just trying to help a foreigner make a more informed decision, but let me re-phrase my statement so the e-thugs don't get butt-hurt.

Traktor allows for much more creativity for the controllerist style DJ (ie. Ean), while still pushing the boundaries of traditional turntable scratching (watch the new NI Z2 video released today if you have any doubts). Of course a 'real dj' doesn't need a bunch of effects. A REAL DJ need to create a fun atmosphere. I wouldn't be dropping Trap at my retirement community's party obviously.

With more options, whether it be effects, modular capabilities, new mappings onto unique devices (guitar hero controller, MF3D, etc.) DJing becomes exciting to a new crowd. Playing two songs at the same speed with a few loops is not very appealing to me. Watching someone put guitar solos on a F1, scratch with timecodes (without heavily investing in vinyl), and twist a chroma cap'd macro effect within seconds of each other, is much more interesting to me (and many on these boards I would assume).

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
    Oh lawd, here we go. I was just trying to help a foreigner make a more informed decision, but let me re-phrase my statement so the e-thugs don't get butt-hurt.

Traktor allows for much more creativity for the controllerist style DJ (ie. Ean), while still pushing the boundaries of traditional turntable scratching (watch the new NI Z2 video released today if you have any doubts). Of course a 'real dj' doesn't need a bunch of effects. A REAL DJ need to create a fun atmosphere. I wouldn't be dropping Trap at my retirement community's party obviously.

With more options, whether it be effects, modular capabilities, new mappings onto unique devices (guitar hero controller, MF3D, etc.) DJing becomes exciting to a new crowd. Playing two songs at the same speed with a few loops is not very appealing to me. Watching someone put guitar solos on a F1, scratch with timecodes (without heavily investing in vinyl), and twist a chroma cap'd macro effect within seconds of each other, is much more interesting to me (and many on these boards I would assume).
    great story.

To the OP. If you don't have any DJ gear at all and haven't ever DJed I would recommend the Pioneer SX. At least that way you will have everything you need to get the basics down in a single package. Decent software, good hardware and a standalone mixer to allow a possible upgrade in the future.