New to digital where to start? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The VCI is not an all in one. It's just a controller. It does not have any audio interface, it's just a MIDI controller. The VCI-300 has an internal sound card, but it is made to be used with Itch. DJTT has developed a work around with the mini.translator, but I'd recommend the VCI-100, myself. The black edition is nice, or you can go the way I did and just paint it yourself.

There are lots of options for external sound cards, and with a few searches around this forum and a few others (I recommend Skratchworx, personally) you can get an idea of what the options are. Just research and pick what is best for your needs and budget.

If you want to just start in the bedroom you'd need just about exactly what you'd need to spin IN the club, minus the ability So to get a good start you'd need: laptop; software; controller; cables.

I'd recommend having a basic speaker set, and still having a laptop stand, but they aren't necessary. This article is a good basic run down on what a pad controller is. Just go through the blog, read the articles, watch the videos, practice and play.

Above all else: READ YOUR MANUALS! Everything is spelled out relatively well. oh, and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! On these forums, I know I, and a few other people, have answered the same questions over and over and over and over again, and with a little forward thinking, you can find your answers.

Welcome to the forum
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The VCI is not an all in one. It's just a controller. It does not have any audio interface, it's just a MIDI controller. The VCI-300 has an internal sound card, but it is made to be used with Itch. DJTT has developed a work around with the mini.translator, but I'd recommend the VCI-100, myself. The black edition is nice, or you can go the way I did and just paint it yourself.

There are lots of options for external sound cards, and with a few searches around this forum and a few others (I recommend Skratchworx, personally) you can get an idea of what the options are. Just research and pick what is best for your needs and budget.

If you want to just start in the bedroom you'd need just about exactly what you'd need to spin IN the club, minus the ability So to get a good start you'd need: laptop; software; controller; cables.

I'd recommend having a basic speaker set, and still having a laptop stand, but they aren't necessary. This article is a good basic run down on what a pad controller is. Just go through the blog, read the articles, watch the videos, practice and play.

Above all else: READ YOUR MANUALS! Everything is spelled out relatively well. oh, and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! On these forums, I know I, and a few other people, have answered the same questions over and over and over and over again, and with a little forward thinking, you can find your answers.

Welcome to the forum
    Hey thanks man, this is an awesome welcome as I know where to go from here. I'll be looking to eventually contribute to this great community. So, I still need speakers then? What would you recommend? And I'm guessing that's where my sound card comes in. But if I'm looking to just practice when I go to other places, would I still need the soundcard with me or could I use the laptop? I apologize if you've answered some of those questions b4 but I felt I needed a personalized answer from a pro like yourself. Thanks again.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Just speakers are necessary, anything that can reproduce sound. You don't need a super-awesome monitor system now, just a good set a speakers so you can hear your mix.

Speaking of which, you need HEADPHONES, forgot about those. A good solid pair of headphones. I use Sennheiser Hd-25II's, and they are amazing, but expensive.

When you go to a club you'll need, as I said before: laptop; laptop stand; audio interface *(sound card); controller; headphones; skill!

Then you hook your audio interface into the mixer or board at the club and rock out
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah man any speakers will do really as long as you can get the right cables to hook it up your all good to go

One thing i would recommend though is to get some killer headphones haha these boys come along way with you in dj'ing other then that once you got your set up it just comes down to practice practice and more practice then PARTY HARD!!!
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Quote Originally Posted by bartenderx7 View Post
    I've been told that scratching is overrated from several dj's I've talked to. But then again just like in my world where there's guys who say playing with speed is overrated only because they can't play themselves. Haha, just the thought of scratching on plastic platters is humorous. Thanks for giving me your input Adrian as I'm sure I'm in the right place, wasn't even an hour and already got a response.
    Scratching is not over-rated...just ask Jip and Koop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12