New to digital where to start?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to digital where to start?

I found out about this forum through youtube as I was checking out some dj-related videos. Just by reading some of these posts you guys all seem pretty knowledgeable. I'd like to know where to start, I have a musical background and understand most technical aspects of sound but I'd just like to be pointed in the right direction. Are VCI-100's good to start off? What other hardware, software would I need for a setup. What do I need to learn to start? I'm getting serious about dj-ing now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, it might be good to provide us with some info about where you're coming from/what you already have. Have you ever spun before? Do you have any software/gear already? Do you have any experience with production? What's your budget? Do you want to stay in the bedroom or move onto clubs? Or mobile DJing?

The more info we have the more info we can give you
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

If your looking to try out djing and if your not sure how long you will like it I suggest spending less and picking up a BCD 3000 (has a built in soundcard which saves you another $200). If your more into scratching forget about the BCD 3000. Trying to scratch with those little plastic platters it rediculous.

The software that I enjoy using would be Traktor Scratch Pro and Deckadance. Check them both out and see which you preffer.

You have definitelty stumbled into the best dj forum so your off to a good start!

For sure, sorry about leaving some of that information out. Yeah I have spun before, it was more like a picked it up on the spot kind of thing. That's what actually got me into the whole idea of doing this professionally. I have done production on like fl studio and reason and dabbled a bit with midi controllers. I'm a guitarist and have been playing for years, do a few lounge acts so I do like the idea of performing and possibly making a living. The basic idea is to develop my skills in the bedroom and eventually take it to the club. So I'm looking for essentials with a budget of around 1,000. I already have a laptop with great processing power, an external 500gb drive, and my friend gave me a copy of Traktor, he uses Serrato. Any personal preference? Btw, what is mobile djing? Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian5 View Post
    If your looking to try out djing and if your not sure how long you will like it I suggest spending less and picking up a BCD 3000 (has a built in soundcard which saves you another $200). If your more into scratching forget about the BCD 3000. Trying to scratch with those little plastic platters it rediculous.

The software that I enjoy using would be Traktor Scratch Pro and Deckadance. Check them both out and see which you preffer.

You have definitelty stumbled into the best dj forum so your off to a good start!
    I've been told that scratching is overrated from several dj's I've talked to. But then again just like in my world where there's guys who say playing with speed is overrated only because they can't play themselves. Haha, just the thought of scratching on plastic platters is humorous. Thanks for giving me your input Adrian as I'm sure I'm in the right place, wasn't even an hour and already got a response.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Mobile DJing is made up of DJs that don't spin in clubs. They usually travel to house parties/weddings/bar-mitzvahs, etc., provide their own PA system and amps, and are a party crew.

If you have Traktor already, and still have a budget of $1000, then I'd say try out the few MIDI controllers out there. I am very partial to the VCI-100 and some sort of pad controller (I use a MIDIFighter, currently), and an Audio8DJ. THere are people who use the Hercules, the X-Session Pro, as well as any number of controllers that are out there, both custom and not.

I would recommend an external sound card and a controller, instead of an all-in-one package, especially if you know this is a direction you want to take. If you're still dabbling than an all-in-one is a good option as well. But with NI just putting out the Audio2, and the lower price you can find a regular VCI-100, then I don't think you really need to worry about cost. Hell, you can get the Arcade VCI-100 DJTT edition AND the Audio2. But that might be jumping the gun.

Really, the objective is to know your goal and plan for it. You want to spin in clubs? All you really need are: laptop; laptop stand; sound card; controller; cables; knowhow.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

If thats the budget your willing to spend I also recommend getting a VCI-100. Watch some of the videos of the functionality done by Ean on youtube and you will lose it. That controller ****with Ean's midi set up on Traktor Pro is a revolution!

Some sound cards you may want to check out are:

Numark i/o
    Presonus Firebox
    Audio 2, 4, and 8 DJ by NI

Out of those I would recommend the Firebox or the audio 4 or 8 but you will see the difference in price obviously.

I hope this helps, good luck!
    Last edited by Adrian5; 07-29-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Mobile DJing is made up of DJs that don't spin in clubs. They usually travel to house parties/weddings/bar-mitzvahs, etc., provide their own PA system and amps, and are a party crew.

If you have Traktor already, and still have a budget of $1000, then I'd say try out the few MIDI controllers out there. I am very partial to the VCI-100 and some sort of pad controller (I use a MIDIFighter, currently), and an Audio8DJ. THere are people who use the Hercules, the X-Session Pro, as well as any number of controllers that are out there, both custom and not.

I would recommend an external sound card and a controller, instead of an all-in-one package, especially if you know this is a direction you want to take. If you're still dabbling than an all-in-one is a good option as well. But with NI just putting out the Audio2, and the lower price you can find a regular VCI-100, then I don't think you really need to worry about cost. Hell, you can get the Arcade VCI-100 DJTT edition AND the Audio2. But that might be jumping the gun.

Really, the objective is to know your goal and plan for it. You want to spin in clubs? All you really need are: laptop; laptop stand; sound card; controller; cables; knowhow.
    Whoah, all great information, this really puts my goal into perspective. I can tell you've probably tried all those avenues. I found a VDI-100 on craigslist for 300, I've seen like 200 and 300, any difference? What's a pad controller? so would the VDI be an example of an a-i-o solution? I did check out the Audio 8, would that be my external soundcard? So if I just want to start out in my bedroom without all the equipment for club spinnin' what would I need to start honing my skills so to speak? lol. The Arcade VCI-100 DJTT looked pretty sick, looks like alot of fun and control @ your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian5 View Post
    If thats the budget your willing to spend I also recommend getting a VCI-100. Watch some of the videos of the functionality done by Ean on youtube and you will lose it. That controller ****with Ean's midi set up on Traktor Pro is a revolution!

Some sound cards you may want to check out are:

Numark i/o
    Presonus Firebox
    Audio 2, 4, and 8 DJ by NI

Out of those I would recommend the Firebox or the audio 4 or 8 but you will see the difference in price obviously.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Nice, well looks like I'm on my way thanks Adrian. Now I just gotta pick up some techniques and the know how. And I'm sure I'll get all I need to know right here.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bartenderx7 View Post
    Nice, well looks like I'm on my way thanks Adrian. Now I just gotta pick up some techniques and the know how. And I'm sure I'll get all I need to know right here.
    and thats where this comes in http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3545. I highly recommend going through those article, they are well written and very insightfull.

Get the VCI-100, the VCI-300 doesn't work with Ean's configuration and it is more scratch oriented (its designed to work with serato).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast