iPad mixing - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPad mixing

Tech Guru

Also if you ever tell other djs that you use an iPad to dj on they will probably laugh at you and tell you to get some real equipment.
    That is the story of every great new technology that is now considered standard. Fuck other DJs.

Ratsey, there are actually several programs you can use with an iPad to have a totally portable setup. The 2 I recommend most highly are DJ Player and Djay. Both of these apps support external controllers, allow the use of multi-route audio, and have what we would consider "full" functionality.

DJ Player - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dj-p...339810085?mt=8
    My favorite app for the iPad. It's capable of MIDI control, and allows for users to create their own MIDI mappings. It offers DVS functionality as of this last update. All in all, it's pretty complete.

Djay - https://itunes.apple.com/app/djay/id...?mt=8%3Fuo%3D4
    This program has great overall support from the controller community, and it even has products designed specifically for it - like the Numark iDJ Pro. It's not as flexible as DJ Player when it comes to MIDI mapping, and has no DVS functionality yet, but it's solid and very robust.

Either of these programs can get you where it sounds like you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    That is the story of every great new technology that is now considered standard. Fuck other DJs.

Ratsey, there are actually several programs you can use with an iPad to have a totally portable setup. The 2 I recommend most highly are DJ Player and Djay. Both of these apps support external controllers, allow the use of multi-route audio, and have what we would consider "full" functionality.

My favorite app for the iPad. It's capable of MIDI control, and allows for users to create their own MIDI mappings. It offers DVS functionality as of this last update. All in all, it's pretty complete.

This program has great overall support from the controller community, and it even has products designed specifically for it - like the Numark iDJ Pro. It's not as flexible as DJ Player when it comes to MIDI mapping, and has no DVS functionality yet, but it's solid and very robust.

Yeah man DJ Player looks great but can you save mixes?

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Seriously, if you are gonna do it at all get a proper controller or buy a laptop, The I-rig is already (IMHO) out of date, as IOS6 allows you to make proper use of multichannel sound cards, the range of controllers and software however that support this is as of right now limited.

If you are intent on using an Ipad ..

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-iDJ-PRO.../dp/B006Z9D9UI

I would certainly not be buying an ipad exclusively for mixing on though TBH, plain stupidity (no offense) - mixing on an ipad without a controller feels like dog turd.

I would have to question your reasoning "Why" ???
    Yeah did have a look at this, it is an option.. looks pretty cool. thx

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Also if you ever tell other djs that you use an iPad to dj on they will probably laugh at you and tell you to get some real equipment.
    Depends on how good a DJ you are i suppose!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Rastey View Post
    Depends on how good a DJ you are i suppose!
    Unfortunately thats not the situation in the majority of club gig scenarios. The nature of the beast is proving yourself on industry standard equipment first.

Of course mobile/party/home you can use whatever the hell you want.

Unfortunately thats not the situation in the majority of club gig scenarios. The nature of the beast is proving yourself on industry standard equipment first.

You know what mate, i've heard all the supposed to be best djs and am not to worried about what i use to play tunes and how i utilize what products i have at my disposal.

Tech Guru

I agree with every word

Also DJ Player is still free at app store. Limited discount: http://imect.com/djplayer/
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dj-p...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
    And it used to be US$ 49. Run for it!

Tech Guru

+1 on this as real world truth.

At home or for friends, yeah you can play on whatever you want. I will say I have both DJ Player and Djay on my iphone and think they are both great apps that would be pretty neat to use on an iPad if I were playing for friends. However, I would NEVER use it to play a club gig.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

However, I would NEVER use it to play a club gig.
    You feel that way today. I doubt you'll feel that way forever.

EVERY NEW DJ TECHNOLOGY started out this way. CD players and DVS were both regarded by "real DJs" as toys that weren't appropriate in clubs. Now they're commonplace. Technology doesn't have a reverse gear. It always moves forward. Tablet computing isn't going anywhere, so it's a natural progression to see it start appearing in clubs. Pioneer is already encouraging it with their Rekordbox software, and that's how it starts. The tablet starts to be the common way to organize and serve up music. From there it's a small step to using a tablet for everything else.

When Final Scratch first came out, it didn't have any functionality that didn't exist on a turntable. It was simply a way to allow DJs to lighten their load. And the fact that DJs embraced it despite the major problems they sometimes had shows you that the DJ community embracing computers in the booth was about more than stability or utility. But before that happened, there needed to be a "killer app". What's great is that killer app doesn't need to be perfect before people will embrace it. It just needs to be able to meet the minimum use case in a way that somehow appeals to the user - like Final Scratch did. Once the use case is proven, developers will begin to improve the capabilities of the product. And so it goes until adoption reaches critical mass and explodes.

After that, you're "old school". Then you're a dinosaur.

You feel that way today. I doubt you'll feel that way forever.

EVERY NEW DJ TECHNOLOGY started out this way. CD players and DVS were both regarded by "real DJs" as toys that weren't appropriate in clubs. Now they're commonplace. Technology doesn't have a reverse gear. It always moves forward. Tablet computing isn't going anywhere, so it's a natural progression to see it start appearing in clubs. Pioneer is already encouraging it with their Rekordbox software, and that's how it starts. The tablet starts to be the common way to organize and serve up music. From there it's a small step to using a tablet for everything else.

When Final Scratch first came out, it didn't have any functionality that didn't exist on a turntable. It was simply a way to allow DJs to lighten their load. And the fact that DJs embraced it despite the major problems they sometimes had shows you that the DJ community embracing computers in the booth was about more than stability or utility. But before that happened, there needed to be a "killer app". What's great is that killer app doesn't need to be perfect before people will embrace it. It just needs to be able to meet the minimum use case in a way that somehow appeals to the user - like Final Scratch did. Once the use case is proven, developers will begin to improve the capabilities of the product. And so it goes until adoption reaches critical mass and explodes.

After that, you're "old school". Then you're a dinosaur.
    True words, when i used a pacemaker at a festival people couldn't believe what i was doing on this hand held device.. Progress is a fact of life and i'm more than happy to embrace it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast