Small portable bedroom/practice speaker/sound-dock.

Default Small portable bedroom/practice speaker/sound-dock.

Evening fellas and fellettes,

I am currently splitting my week between two cities and am looking for a small portable speaker/sound-dock to practice with. I have looked at the various Bose sound docks/links. I know they will do what I need but they are heavy on the wallet. Looking to spend $100-$250 for something portable, that ideally comes with a rechargeable battery and has a relatively small footprint (along the Bose lines).

So what have you got? How long have you had it? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Would you buy it again?

Cheers,
    S
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Guru
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Thanks Dude and good to hear from you again!

Anyone else?

Have a look at the "Big Jambox" from jawbone

https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VincentCools View Post
    Have a look at the "Big Jambox" from jawbone

https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview

My brother in law has the smaller version and it sounds good. Does is have a line in?

Btw...Smittten rules!
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I was lugging the Bose companion 2 around for a bit, you have to plug them in, but they are in your price range and had the better kick drum response of the small Bose I tested with decent sound all around for a tiny set. They still fit nicely in to luggage, and I dragged them every where when I had to travel. They are now the karaoke speakers in the bedroom and still perform great even if my ambition for karaoke out weighs my talent. I didn't mind mixing on them but still prefer a monitor, and they fit my limited space to noise ratio pretty good.

I swear by the Tivoli iPal for such applications. It has a small footprint, rechargeable battery, can be plugged in or not, built in radio, and a very clean sound across the spectrum with more bass than you would expect from something its size. Much better I think than the Jawbone (though I've only heard the latter once; it was also very clean sounding but just didn't have a lot of power). Tivoli iPal will set you back about $220 new but it's well worth it, and if you're patient you can probably find used ones for $150 or less.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

So i went to BestBuy to test a whole bunch of different units. I went in prepared to spend $250. I ended up spending less then $100 on the Logitech S715i Portable 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock ts

There we better sounding units on offer but for the price this was hands down the best product there. The bass is there and plenty enough for me to practice with etc. The sound overall is very pleasant indeed. It has a battery and and 3.5mm jack. it fits in my UDG Creatpr Bag alongside my F1 with a 16" laptop and Z2 in the bag and also comes with a litter baggy.

The Bose SoundDock sounded great but not an extra $150 worth of great. The Sony unit was good but was $200 and very comparable to the logitech. The Beats by Dre box was fine but f** me, $400? you must be mental to consider that.

I also picked up the Bluetooth version ($160) as a gift for a friend. Sounds identical, has no ipod dock but does have the 3.5mm jack. If I didn't have the iphone would have gone for that one (I am always needing to charge my iphone so I liked the ipod dock better).

I have to say that Logitech, Klipsch & NI are the three brands that are really doing the business for us in our home.

This is supposed to be pretty good. Nice that it can mount on a standard microphone stand.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx
    Used Record Shopper