Are My Speakers Blown?
    Tech Wizard

Default Are My Speakers Blown?

So... I went to my first gig and because I live in Asia, there is a 220v power output instead of the 110v written on my booth speakers. I unfortunately plugged them into the 220v and turned the speakers on. Nothing really happened other than they just didn't turn on and don't turn on even in 110v power output. What actually happened to my speakers and is it fixable??? I have m-audio av40 booth speakers.
    Thanks for the help!

My friends used to do this with PC's at my old school. Flip the PSU's to use 110v instead of the UK standard.
    Its safe to say they went up in a poof of smoke, the end.

I'm afraid you may have fried the power to your speakers. At minimum, the PSU is broken. Worst case scenario, theyre completely fried.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Nothing really NEEDS to happen to blow speakers with incorrect voltage. It's the PSU, not the speaker that's probably gone. Likely to cost as much to repair as to replace.
    356 reasons why

You MAY have gotten lucky.

Actually, I lie, You did get lucky that nothing exploded. But you may have gotten lucky that it may have just blown the fuse and not reached the main circuit. Try find a replacement fuse for the monitors, should only be a few dollars from your local electronics depot. But chances are, your PSU is fried, and it will cost an arm and a leg to repair
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

Tech Wizard

well crap :P...can u reply with a picture of what exactly the fuse looks like/ can be located on speakers? Just to get a general idea of what I am looking for.
    Thanks for info!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjc View Post
    You MAY have gotten lucky.

Actually, I lie, You did get lucky that nothing exploded. But you may have gotten lucky that it may have just blown the fuse and not reached the main circuit. Try find a replacement fuse for the monitors, should only be a few dollars from your local electronics depot. But chances are, your PSU is fried, and it will cost an arm and a leg to repair

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4127/31860830.jpg

Put a flathead screwdriver in the bit I've circled. Press in and loosen. There should be a spring and it should pop out. There will be a small cylindrical object made out of glass and metal. That's the fuse.

It will probably look a bit like this -

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com...ng%20fuses.jpg

Since the voltage was so high, it will probably be fairly burnt.

You're looking for a fuse called a T1AL (if you look underneath that fuse, it says 100-120V-T1AL. Indicating what fuse you need). Take the fuse with you to the shop to compare, to make sure you buy the correct one.

Don't throw away the black bit that came out with the fuse. You need to replace this cap when you put the new fuse in.

New fuses are only a dollar or two. If you put a new one in, and you find that the new fuse blows straight away (You will hear a slight pop). Your speakers are buggered and need to be repaired.

Goodluck
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

Tech Wizard

My av-40's are the newer model and don't have the external display of the fuse like the old ones did. http://www.sweetwater.com/images/clo...-AV40_back.jpg

Should i go digging around for the fuse underneath the panel or is that a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by rjc View Post
    http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4127/31860830.jpg

Put a flathead screwdriver in the bit I've circled. Press in and loosen. There should be a spring and it should pop out. There will be a small cylindrical object made out of glass and metal. That's the fuse.

It will probably look a bit like this -

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com...ng%20fuses.jpg

Since the voltage was so high, it will probably be fairly burnt.

You're looking for a fuse called a T1AL (if you look underneath that fuse, it says 100-120V-T1AL. Indicating what fuse you need). Take the fuse with you to the shop to compare, to make sure you buy the correct one.

Don't throw away the black bit that came out with the fuse. You need to replace this cap when you put the new fuse in.

New fuses are only a dollar or two. If you put a new one in, and you find that the new fuse blows straight away (You will hear a slight pop). Your speakers are buggered and need to be repaired.

Goodluck

Odd. It still mentions the T1AL on the back. So there's a fuse somewhere.I don't really want to reccomend you open it up if you dont know what you're doing. You could severely shock yourself from built up charge inside if you don't know what your doing. Maybe get an electronics friend to help you out.

I would start with the larger black screws. I imagine the smaller ones are holding PCB Boards and other things to the back plate of the speaker