Buying another pair of monitors. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Keep in mind that acoustic foam only absorbs high frequencies; it lacks the mass to do anything about low to mid frequencies. Creating an imbalance in the sound by killing the highs could make it even harder to mix.
    Depends on the thickness and where its placed TBH, thicker foam nearer bassy areas of the room, It should help kill any echoing/reflection though and depending on the room size/layout could make a hellofa difference (my place is a killer for reflection/echo)

Its no substitute for testing a mixdown on a few different pairs of speakers though and a decent set of reasonably flat headphones Sony v6's are my pref and are pretty well representing of what comes out of a system at the end once you roll back the high and low a lil to regular consumer levels.

I remember seeing a monitor speaker a while back designed for studio testing production results on smaller systems, wish I could find the damn thing again - it was around $100 if I remember rightly.
    Last edited by deevey; 12-21-2012 at 01:02 AM.

I was using krks for producing for a while and made the swap to the yamaha's and haven't looked back since. They are a lot more accurate !
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    A few of these would probably help as well ..

foam.jpg
    Acoustic foam is a waste of money except for high frequencies, you really want broadband absorbers and bass traps from rockwool or rigid fiberglass.

OP- As far as monitors go- the first thing i would look at is how they are set up in your room. If I had to guess your monitors are probably positioned less than ideally- most pics of people's studios have them shoved in a corner with the desk off center in the room. Your desk should be centered against the shortest wall in the room with monitors equidistant from the left and right wall, ideally pulled back from the back wall a foot or two. This is the easiest thing you can do and will make a big difference.

No matter what you do unless you drop a lot of money you are not going to have a great monitoring setup and should be checking everything in headphones and another set of speakers too.

Also the difference between RP5s and HS50s will be small. I think the HS50s are a little better but it's not a huge difference, and they will still be lacking a lot in the low end department.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-21-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Acoustic foam is a waste of money except for high frequencies, you really want broadband absorbers and bass traps from rockwool or rigid fiberglass.
    Care to elaborate on that, as to why/what the rockwool/rigid fiberglass does? I've got no idea and would like to know a lot more about it, trying to get the acoustics right in my 'studio' at the moment, right now I'm at square one, Research.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12