Buying another pair of monitors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Buying another pair of monitors.

So currently I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5's, and a lot of the times when I go play my songs somewhere else it sounds a hell of a lot different. So I was planning on looking for a new pair, particularly the Yamaha HS50's. The question I'm asking, would it be unnecesary to mix those monitors with the KRK? The Rokit 5's have more low end, as with the HS50's they're more mid-high and I personally think it would be a good. Yet again, I've only been producing for 5 months.

Tech Wizard

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought monitors were used to point out problems that other speakers don't? And that you need to make tracks sound good on monitors first, then they'll sound good on any other set of speakers you play them on?

I clearly need to research monitors more

Tech Wizard

You're correct, but not all monitors are up to shape with the sound you produce. The one's I have are more on the cheaper side, therefore cheaper sound xD. But hey shit, my monitors could be fine and it could be that my room isn't the best for sound .

It's not the monitors.

What are the other speakers your bouncing your sound off? Your mix isn't going to sound 100% first time, you need to bounce it off a few more speakers first.

The room acoustics could be playing funny buggers with you and making it sound 'more' than what it is, confusing you.

Also something else to do, which was advice I first saw on this website, bounce a lot of well produced songs you know of, off the monitors, so you actually know the sound they're supposed to give off when a properly mixed track is played on them. Especially tracks that are similar to your own music's genre.

Sometimes what can also happen is that when you mix your own tracks you know what the track is supposed to sound like and you can often favor other sounds and not mix it properly. Bring a friend around and let them listen to it, see what they say. After sitting their producing a track for 'xx' amount of hours, you can get engulfed into the song so much and lose track of what's going on, in the end you're not going to be the only one listening to the song, so another pair of ears is great.

Tech Wizard

I'm not bouncing them off any other speakers, I'm just running my monitors. Although, I do have 2 nice standup speakers that sound awesome but the problem is that they're wired speakers and I don't know how to get that through my soundcard :x. I tend to just push away my song after like 45 minutes and come back later to it so I can refresh my ears.

I think it would be wise to bounce the sound through some other speakers before making total judgement on the mixdown, I also don't think it would be a bad idea to get another set of monitors, a lot of studios have more than 1 pair.

I understand the pushing away from the song thing, but in the end you know how you want it too sound, someone else doesn't. Just give it time and study the monitors like you would an instrument, practice make perfect.
    Last edited by Ham; 12-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Although, I do have 2 nice standup speakers that sound awesome but the problem is that they're wired speakers and I don't know how to get that through my soundcard :x
    Buy and Amplifier and run your soundcard into the amp.

For switching purposes between both sets of speakers quickly buy a small source selector box (under $10).

Buy a crappy boombox stereo/ipod dock/clock radio thing that has a line-in/aux as well for testing your mix on a "very average" system, when you start dropping to tiny crappy speakers you tend to start discovering that that extra bass boost @ 40hz that sounded monster on your studio monitors and big standup speakers was not a good idea whatsoever for any lesser soundsystem.

Mastering is all a balancing act between acceptability to what everyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    It's not the monitors
    I concur - you are going about this the wrong way. Monitors are designed to be unforgiving.
    356 reasons why

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

A few of these would probably help as well ..

It's not the monitors. You just need more practice mixing.

After you do lots and lots of mixes on those monitors (or any set of speakers/headphones for that matter) you will get a feel for what a good mix that'll also sound good on other systems should sound like on your monitors. Fancier speakers won't help you achieve that, only practice will.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    A few of these would probably help as well ..

Keep in mind that acoustic foam only absorbs high frequencies; it lacks the mass to do anything about low to mid frequencies. Creating an imbalance in the sound by killing the highs could make it even harder to mix.
    Last edited by Sample Seven; 12-20-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast