bad music requests
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default bad music requests

How do you guys handle requests? especially when its a really bad one (a.k.a usually)!
    TRAKTOR 2.6 | TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 | MIDI FIGHTER | MACBOOK PRO i5 SSD
    NI AUDIO 6 | TECHNICS 1200MK2 | COOL MUSIC

Quote Originally Posted by slazarz View Post
    How do you guys handle requests? especially when its a really bad one (a.k.a usually)!
    By holding out my hand, pointing at it, and saying place your $50.00 for this particular request here.

I kid. Like DJ shadow has helped to teach us, it's about integrity first. I would never play something I don't like - and to help facilitate this, I don't take gigs that might put me in a request situation.

in my case it depends on the venue im playing at
    (venue means either wedding, mobile setup, or nightclub)
    in all honesty, everyone that has arrived to the club has arrived for a particular style of the night
    you are going to goto a hip hop club and wonder why they arent playing frank sinatra so in that light, you dont really get people making requests at a club.
    but if you do, i just tell them, (if its just not going to fit) "Ill drop it in my list, and ill get to it in just a bit, but really good call!, I like that track"

if its at a wedding, i have to show the people that i am working for the bride and groom,
    no the guests, and i have a list of songs i am supposed to play + a list of songs i can possibly get into + yet another list of songs the B&G certainly DO NOT WANT to hear. Period!
    In light of this, i have to explain to them, that "Mr and Mrs pay my bill", "arent going to allow me to play that,
    if its something they would approve, ill have to get the OK from them."

Say you can't hear what the person is saying...
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Say you can't hear what the person is saying...
    lol its possible that (and it has happened to me) they will end up writing it down... and to boot
    they have a list of other songs HAHAHHA

sorry ive left my box of shit tunes at home!

what does rattle my cage is when someone comes and just points a phone in your face with the song typed on the screen.... i mean have they suddenly lost the power of speech????
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Guru

I suprisingly dont get too many requests, but I remember a couple years back I used to play at a couple of college bars and their would be all sorts of diff crowds coming in. I just would tell them that I don't have it, which is true, and people usually leave you alone. If you act like you care, and that you're sorry that you dn't have it (made that mistake), then you might get someone trying to hand you a cd/USB stick/Iphone.....so I keep it short n brief and then ignore them and go back to mixing

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    lol its possible that (and it has happened to me) they will end up writing it down... and to boot
    they have a list of other songs HAHAHHA
    Then you politely take the list and forget about it later by mistake, or you misplace it.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast