A few questions about a possible setup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default A few questions about a possible setup.

Yesterday I got to use vinyl and serato for the first time and loved it. I was already considering changing my setup as I've just not really been enjoying my s2 and want to try something a bit different. I'm basically a beginner at this point but I've learned from my guitar playing to buy solid gear the first time and not have to keep buying more.

At this point I don't want to stop using traktor because I like having beatgrids and I already have my library building up in there. I want start getting some experience on vinyl. But at the same time I still want to be able to use a controller. I live in a college town and I figure if I want to play at house party's and stuff that I won't want to have to take the turntables with me so I want to have just a mixer and controller setup type of thing.

At this point I was thinking of maybe going with a setup like this.

-1 Technic 1200(I found one locally on the cheap)
    - Allen and Heath xone 42
    - Traktor audio 6
    -either an mpd 32 or more likely an electrix tweaker.

And I figure I can always add a second technic in the future.
    Is this a possible setup that I could run or would there be issues with using one turntable and a controller?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

The setup is totally feasible man

You're going to want to keep in mind that while the Xone 42 is a 4 channel mixer, you're going to be restricted to 3 channels with the Audio 6. If I were you, I would consider maybe keeping Decks A & B as purely controlled by your controller, and then run Deck C as your Turntable channel.

That being said, I might go as far as to recommend picking up a Audio 10, or a second hand Audio 8 so that you don't feel like you're limited by your soundcard to 3 out of 4 available channels. There are a multitude of things you can do on three decks, or two for that matter. But like you, I am a fan of buying solid

I haven't used either the MPD 32 or the Electrix tweaker, so I can't really comment on either. That being said, I'm not 100% sure the MPD style pads are going to be ideal for your setup. They're velocity sensitive, and designed for finger drumming through Ableton or similar software. That being said, it's fully midi capable, and you can map it any way you want (And it doubles as a control surface for producing later if you choose), so mapping it within traktor is not an issue.

If you're not looking at cue-point juggling, or intense button mashing, you might be better off looking at a controller like the Xone K2, or the Traktor X1.
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

Tech Wizard

rjc- I was on the fence about an audio 10 but I think you just swayed me to go that way. I'll definitely check out the k2 and x1 as well. Thanks for the help!

Tech Wizard

Kind of depends what you want to play really. If you're gonna stick with beat grids and auto sync, turntables are slightly redundant, and only serve the purpose of looking cool. The x1 is a bad ass controller, you could just get 2. If you don't already have the xone 42, then I'd advise not to. A djm 900 suits your needs much better, it's a sound card, midi controller, effects and mixer all in one, and is really good at what it does. For playing out all you'd need to take is that and your laptop.

Can't you plug the TT right into the S2, or is that only the S4?
    Im in the same boat as you. I want a Scratch setup for home, and a mobile setup for gigs. I have been using the S4 as a mixer with my decks for now, and it works fine for learning the basics of scratching
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Can't you plug the TT right into the S2, or is that only the S4?
    Im in the same boat as you. I want a Scratch setup for home, and a mobile setup for gigs. I have been using the S4 as a mixer with my decks for now, and it works fine for learning the basics of scratching
    the S2 has no phono/line inputs.

Tech Wizard

If only the djm900 was in my price range at this point. I like the allen and heath because their gear is solid and I'm not really looking for a bunch of midi stuff in the mixer.
    Also I just really like the idea of being able to use vinyl because I've started to build a vinyl collection for listening, and want to be able to also use them for mixing.

It would be cool if the s2 had those inputs but like Era 7 said they don't. Just outputs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by olisharp View Post
    Kind of depends what you want to play really. If you're gonna stick with beat grids and auto sync, turntables are slightly redundant, and only serve the purpose of looking cool. The x1 is a bad ass controller, you could just get 2. If you don't already have the xone 42, then I'd advise not to. A djm 900 suits your needs much better, it's a sound card, midi controller, effects and mixer all in one, and is really good at what it does. For playing out all you'd need to take is that and your laptop.

Turntables are more fun period !!!!!!!!!!! no jog wheel in existence can match vinyl for control !!!

BUT before you reply I saw the part about sticking to auto sync

Tech Wizard

Now that I'm actually figuring out what I'm doing and practicing I'm trying to stay away from sync unless I have a very specific reason for using it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack4 View Post
    Now that I'm actually figuring out what I'm doing and practicing I'm trying to stay away from sync unless I have a very specific reason for using it.
    If that's the case. You're going to struggle with one turntable and a Midi controller, unless you've got a jog-wheel to play with too. You're going to need two turntables, or likely settle with using sync

Nudging songs into sync with buttons is slow and cluggy.

Maybe wait until after Christmas when all the Excess stock sales start before purchasing anything. You might find a rad deal somewhere. My DB2 was excess stock, and pushed down to $999. You might find something equally as amazing
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast