Traktor setup/recording issues
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor setup/recording issues

Hi all

first post on here so be gentle

have recently migrated from rekordbox to Traktor, but having some issues with setting up

My Rig consists of CDJ-900, DJM-800 and a high spec laptop. Trying to record direct from Traktor, but cannot get this to work unless I use the internal options, b ut I lose a channel that way.
    Have since installed third party software to record my sets, did one over the weekend but there seems to be a lot of lag/stammering coming from the laptop.

Is this due to the that that I am using the onboard sound card on the laptop or is it due to the fact that its a windows system? I know a lot of dj peeps use apple, but I didnt want to commit to buying a mac, just to dj as I have enough computer gear as it is.

If someone could point me in the right direction in regards to setup and correct gear, it will be most appreciated, beginning to pull my hair out here

thanks for listening

CHZ
    Last edited by CoolHandZook; 12-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Tech Mentor

I used to use Audacity to record from the rec out (actually, I set it up to record from my main out, and used rec out for my main, so I could control the level of the recording from the mixer, and control the main volume with my amp), on my old mixer (DJM 800), through the very cheap soundcard in my laptop. Never had a problem with it. This was on a business spec Dell Windows desktop, so by all accounts, a really poor machine.

Now I have my DB4 mixer, I output the mix over USB channels 1 & 2 on the DB4, and set Traktor to record on these channels.

To record in Traktor you would have to have one of your DJM channels outputting the mixed signal to Traktor over USB so that Traktor can record whatever you are doing on the DJM. Basically you have to tell Traktor what to record, and set up your DJM to output what you want recorded.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    I used to use Audacity to record from the rec out (actually, I set it up to record from my main out, and used rec out for my main, so I could control the level of the recording from the mixer, and control the main volume with my amp), on my old mixer (DJM 800), through the very cheap soundcard in my laptop. Never had a problem with it. This was on a business spec Dell Windows desktop, so by all accounts, a really poor machine.

Now I have my DB4 mixer, I output the mix over USB channels 1 & 2 on the DB4, and set Traktor to record on these channels.

To record in Traktor you would have to have one of your DJM channels outputting the mixed signal to Traktor over USB so that Traktor can record whatever you are doing on the DJM. Basically you have to tell Traktor what to record, and set up your DJM to output what you want recorded.
    Still not getting anywhere with this, went through what described, but still cannot record in traktor and I am currently using sound forge to record but it sounds like its recording through a mic, I must be a right mong to not be able to make sense of this.

I just noticed that you are in the area, perhaps a Skype sesh might be in order if that wont be too much trouble

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Yeah, not too far from Aberdeen. I could try to help via Skype, but, to be honest, I get lost pretty easy unless I'm sitting in front of stuff, lol. Skype might be a good shout though, usually best time for me is after 10-12 pm though.

PM me, and we can try to sort something out. Not really too sure how the Pioneer will work though. My old Pioneer mixer was just the 800, so no fancy recording in Traktor. I simply used a RCA to 3.5mm (headphone) jack, to connect the Master out to the line in / mic in on the pc. Selected the pc's soundcard as the input device in Audacity, and was good to go. Using the rec out as the Master to the stereo.

Audacity is free software though, might be worth trying that to see what results you get with that?
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Tech Convert

Ok, will give the audacity a go and see where that gets me, btw slight typo on the original post, I have a djm 800, not the 900, my bad lol

Tech Mentor

Ahhhh. Okay, now I see. So now you best bet would be to not use Traktor to record. To use Traktor, you would need to somehow connect the mixer to Traktor, something I have never done on a non-digital mixer (i.e. the 800 doesn't have a USB port to connect directly to Traktor).

Give Audacity a try first. Hopefully you will get better results from that.

Tech Guru

Its actually really easy and you dnt have to lose a channel, just a channel Input, so unless you're mixing w/ 4 cdj's or 2cdj's and 2 TTs then you dnt lose a channel. When the Nexus utility pops up, set one of the channels that you have no CDJ's or TT's hooked up to, to internal recording or some ish like that. Then in Traktor, set ur mix recorder to external, and ur external inpout to whatever channel you have set-up for internal recording. Done deal

Tech Convert

Thanks MC, however there is no utility appears for the mixer (djm800), hence there is no USB to connect to the laptop

rca from mixer master / booth / rec out to an in on your traktor sound card. Select those channels in traktor rec pref. done.

Tech Guru

read DJM 900 for some reason. super hungover

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast