How to build a DJ Booth, DIY
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to build a DJ Booth, DIY

Any Ideas on Materials to use, stores to buy materials, Design ideas, features, Lighting, ect.....

I have done some research on diffrent booths & have decided to do a typical "Square" shaped booth

I like the ideas on this website for useing Ikea Hardware but I am opting out of useing the Ikea bookshelfs as the body of the Booth.
    Instead I will be useing Plywood for the body to add that extra stability that I would not get from Ikea shelfs.

I will have to accomidate 2 turntables, mixer and an akai MPD 32 MIDI controler on the main surface of the booth. I also have a laptop & external HD which I have a stand for.

I am expecting this booth will cost between $500-$800 depending on the lighting options I use. The materials to build the booth should be between $500-$600

I would like to be able to disassemble & re-assemble this booth if needed so I will be useing screws for everything. I will keep track of the material I buy where I get them from & how I made the booth & post them here as I go along.

I will be starting this in Feb of the new year.

I have seen some of the higher end booths on youtube & other sources but they seem very time intensive to make & would take a lot of trial & error without blueprints.

Like I said any ideas on what other people have done to make there own booths, problems you ran into or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by fire for effect; 12-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fire for effect View Post
    Any Ideas?
    plenty...check out the "show your setup" thread for some ideas...You can go Ikea, modded computer desk, cinder blocks and a door is cheap and easy, get a couple of sheets of MDF and go to town, an old kitchen table is easy to find and modify...

There are a couple of cool build threads running around here...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    plenty...check out the "show your setup" thread for some ideas...You can go Ikea, modded computer desk, cinder blocks and a door is cheap and easy, get a couple of sheets of MDF and go to town, an old kitchen table is easy to find and modify...

There are a couple of cool build threads running around here...
    Re look at what he posted! Hes looking for a more in depth idea on his current budget.

Recently I built myself an Ikea DJ Booth, was pretty easy. Heres a link to a great DJTechTools article.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/10/1...om-ikea-parts/

Maybe that can provide some inspiration!
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Re look at what he posted! Hes looking for a more in depth idea on his current budget.
    Re look at my answer and his edit time! His original post was extremely vague...

Measure and draw us what you think you want to do. You can even post links and pics of things to piece together. I am sure people will tell you what does and doesn't work.

But I don't think anyone here is going to hand you blueprints to what you need.

But alot of us have built our own desks.

whats wrong with the ikea desks? plywood sucks unless it has a proper frame. it warps etc. but ya if your looking for the square look just go with the ikea they aren't wobbly at all if you set them up right trust me.

Im lookin into keithace's idea to use MDF instead of plywood.

As for the Ikea shelfs they will cost a lot more than MDF or Plywood & I just don't see the Ikea shelf being as sturdy as other materials. I have a set of shelf almost identical to the ikea ones that I keep random stuff on & im not too impressed with the quality.

I should add I have 9 months off work so I will have plenty of time to work on this.
    I will also be getting payed during the 9 months so I will have $ to spend on this project.

The ikea hardware like I said is still a go.
    I have done a few quick drawings of what I want & will do something more indepth this week at work & post it here.

ALso keithace is correct "my first post was very vague" that being said a door placed on cinderblocks is a little budget for what im looking to do. would be intresting to see though.

I do have a friend that does carpentry & custom woodworking like a boss who is going to help me make a proper custom booth but thats not until 2014 so I gotta figgure something out for now.
    I do have the tools and knowhow to build a booth that would be considered above average.
    Last edited by fire for effect; 12-23-2012 at 01:22 AM.

i bought two sheets of 5/8 for under 50 bucks. I looked for the ones with damaged corners and asked for a discounted price. Make sure you build it tall enough. There is nothing worse than being hunched over.

I measured from my feet to my arms bent at a 90 degree angle for the height I need to build the booth keeping in mind the height of the turntables.

How is the MDF for vibration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast