Default Cables / Connection

Hi everyone;

I presently have ;

1 Macbook
    1 pioneer djm 800
    2 pioneer cdj 900

i am willing to buy Native instruments komplete audio 6 as sound card
    Guess i will use Virtual dj pro.

what's the best way to connect and list of the cables i should use ?

I have seen Native instruments multicore cables but is it only for Audio8 or can be used for any set up ?
    or is it worthless to buy same even if same can be used with komplete audio 6.

waiting for your comments

regards

Tech Mentor

Why komplete audio 6?
    And why vdj?
    Multicore cables will work as far as i know.

Tech Student

Hello Volpe,

well one of my friend suggested audio 6 and for vdj ; also my friend has given me the software.

But i am open to any suggestion for sound card and software. But its rather be not expensive !!

I think you've gotten a little bit confused there mate. You would be after a TRAKTOR Audio 6, rather than a KOMPLETE Audio 6. Both are from Native instruments, but the Komplete is more for production, while the Traktor one is for Djing.

That being said, you don't actually need to have a soundcard with your setup. CDJ's already have a USB soundcard built in.

Essentially all you need to do is connect two USB A-B cables to your laptop, one from each CDJ. Then you would just keep your CDJ's plugged into the mixer the same way you would normally (Over RCA)

You're then going to want to have a look at aggregated sound cards (That is tricking your computer into thinking its got one soundcard plugged in, rather than two). It's pretty straightforward

- Open the "Audio Midi Setup" application (Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi setup).
    - Select the "audio device" panel.
    - Open the "aggregate device editor" in the audio menu.
    - Press the "+" button to add an aggregate device.
    - Check the "use" boxes of both CDJ-900's audio interfaces.
    - Press "done".

As for setting up and getting you started with VDJ, I don't have much experience with the software. Somebody else will have to help you there.

Or better yet. Do some googling =P
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

In fact VDJ supports multiple sound cards so you don't need to aggregate them, just select both in preferences. I think it's called advanced mode or something, it's been a while since I used VDJ. Other programs (such as traktor) will require you to aggregate the CDJ sound cards.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Student

Many thanx to Rjc and Fullenglishpint;

The informations were really really helpfull . Appreciated.

May i ask a question;

Would there still be any advantages to have external soundcard i.e Traktor Audio 6 in this case ?

As also understand VDJ is a little bit old fashioned and not prefferable by you.
    What would you suggest as a software ?

Significant advantages? No, not really if you plan on using VDJ.

Using the NI Soundcard, you might find you have a slightly reduced latency, but it probably wouldn't be a huge amount.

The biggest advantages to come from having an Audio 6 or 10 is the bundled Traktor Scratch Pro licence, and the ability to use Timecode.

While in your set-up, Timecode is unneccesary as the CDJ 900's work as USB controllers, if you want to play out at clubs/other friends houses and they don't have a USB capable setup (For example, they have CDJ1000's and a DJM800), you can bring your soundcard with you and plug in that way. Then you would use Timecode CD's to play your music through traktor. Timecode also allows you to play on Turntables using special Vinyl discs, using them to control Traktor.

You may be lucky, and all the closest venues are rocking CDJ 900's/2000's, and DJM 900's, so this wouldn't be an issue at all. The biggest advantage to having a soundcard like above is flexibility... but it's not neccesary in your case.

As for VDJ, there are plenty of people on this forum who use and swear by it. I use Traktor purely because it's what I'm comfortable with, and works best for my Setup.

Of course theres one other option, being Serato Scratch Live, which is very stable and rock solid, however you can only use with particular Serato certified gear. (That is, a SL1/2/3/4, or particular Rane mixers). Serato is a fantastic alternative to Traktor and VDJ, but the costs of getting established is pretty steep.

Have a play around with VDJ, and do some research on Traktor and Serato. All three are fantastic pieces of software, and don't let anybody tell you that one of them is the 'be all and end all'. They're all suited to different people and different workflows
    Last edited by rjc; 12-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

What rjc said. The advantage is that you don't have to carry CDJs with you to play anywhere that isn't your house.

Tech Student

Hello Again,

forgot to ask ; with this type of connection am i able to record or ?

thanx once again.