Producers: Virtual Instrument Suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Producers: Virtual Instrument Suggestions?

I can never remember the difference between VST and VSTi, but I'm looking for suggestions for virtual instruments. I guess specifically I'm looking for ones that can produce decent Electro sounds, but I'm open to any suggestions; I don't strictly produce electro. I suppose I would try making other types of music if I had a wider range of sound capability.

One that I've used in the past and really liked is reFX's Vanguard

Just trying to expand the potential of my production, I guess.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I've really been digging Gladiator and Sylenth lately . But Massive is still my go to synth

VSTi = instrument
    VST= effect

Just remember the "i" part stands for instrument, its ez

I am a pretty big fan of NI Massive - though honestly most of the synths are much of a muchness. Especially if you have some decent fx, a decent DAW host and some time to put your own fx chains together. You can make killer synths with just 3xOSC and some know how in FL studio, i personally would not get too caught up in learning to use a million different synths. Your better off having just a few synths and knowing them really well then you are to have a huge collection of synths that you know only a little about each one. To start with just grab one synth for every one of the major synth types:

Subtractive synthesis
    Additive synthesis
    Granular synthesis
    Wavetable synthesis
    Frequency Modulation synthesis

There are more but they should be explored after learning these major ones.

That whole "i" thing would make sense. Duh. Thanks.

I know... I never really wanted to have a massive collection of synths. Tbh, having a couple VSTi's and knowing in and out is probably a lot better than having a ton of VSTi's and being mildly familiar with them.

The only reason I'm really looking to add something new is because I've pretty much burned 3xOSC out (but don't get me wrong - for something so simple it's quite a powerful synth). And most of the other synths that come with FL I've been unimpressed with (except Sytrus, which I may never fully understand).

Do you know if there's a good website for explaining the difference between those synth types (substractive, additive, etc) in simple terms. A while ago I tried reading up on them, and everything I tried to read was way over my head. I'm a musician, not an engineer.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

automat and the crystal are both awesome and diverse freeware's for the mac, not sure about PC though, if your willing to spend some money, motu's MX4 is the greatest for me, that and FM8.

you looking for a soft synth.

What kind of music dude?

Try the Albino....Discovery.....Massive....predator.

Basically look out for Rob Papin's shit....

They are quality!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Native Instruments is selling Komplete for July only at just US$/EUR 399, instead of $1139/EUR999. It comes with Kontakt 3 (sampler), Guitar Rig 3 (guitar), Massive (bass), Reaktor 5 modular instrument studio, Absynth 4 (synth), Battery 3 (drum), Akoustik Piano, Elektrik Piano, B4 II, FM8 (FM synth)
    Pro-53 - the faithful reproduction of a synth legend. I never saw this deal till august but this was a crazy sale.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleansTECH View Post
    Native Instruments is selling Komplete for July only at just US$/EUR 399, instead of $1139/EUR999. It comes with Kontakt 3 (sampler), Guitar Rig 3 (guitar), Massive (bass), Reaktor 5 modular instrument studio, Absynth 4 (synth), Battery 3 (drum), Akoustik Piano, Elektrik Piano, B4 II, FM8 (FM synth)
    Pro-53 - the faithful reproduction of a synth legend. I never saw this deal till august but this was a crazy sale.
    The problem there is its now August but yeah it was a killer deal !

If you are thinking in expanding with different sounds.... Lataley Ive been working with more natural sounding instruments in search of some deep sounds.
    I ve been very satisfyed with the results from Uberschall Liquid series... I bought the Liquid trumpet. Although that this is more of a sound library than an instrument, you can still compose your own stuff.

Also for percussion, altough Ableton live 8 has a new Latin percussion samples I love the EZ drummer and Ez latin percussion. Excelent sound, there are some good demo videos on tube

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

"Electro sounds", like hard electro?

heres a little ten step run down of my technique

1find a good sounding synth
    2comeup with a stong synth/bass line
    3adjust all the parameters to get the right sound out of the synth
    4cone/copy the notes you recorded
    5open an electric guitar w/ distortion
    6paste the notes in the guitar
    7edit the guitar parameters, distortion, distortion depth
    8harmonize the instruments again using their parameters/ volume /adding FX to each &/or master FX over both, - then edit all FX depths
    9fill in any gaps with more instruments like, pads, sub for more bass, etc.
    10side chain it to the kick drum - edit the automation of the sidechain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast