HELP! New VCI-400. Install Complete. Traktor does nothing.

Default HELP! New VCI-400. Install Complete. Traktor does nothing.

I just bought a VCI-400. Installing the drivers was a bit shaky, but after uninstalling the "VC++2010 Runtime" per Vestax's troubleshooting list things started going a bit smoother.

I updated Traktor to version 2.6.
    The VCI-400 turns on. The USB and Data indicator LEDs and the rest of the unit lights up as they should. I checked my Device Manager and the VCI-400 shows up as it should. I opened Traktor and selected the VCI-400 in Traktor's Audio Setup. I imported the .tsi for the VCI-400 that I downloaded from Vestax - both versions.

After all this, no matter what button or slider or jog wheel I move...Traktor will not register anything from the VCI-400. The CTRL indicator light at the top center window for Traktor never lights up.

I keep seeing stuff about this "firmware update" but I can't get that going at all. Does this have anything to do with my issue?

Please help! I'm tired. I'm frustrated. I have a DJ competition in 4 days! I was hoping I could pull out the VCI-400 as one of the new tricks up my sleeve and I need to get this fixed.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Wizard

You also checked the midi in and out settings for the vci at the top of the screen in traktors controller editor for the mappings...
    You might also download midiox and want to check if your unit is talking any midi after all....

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi-J View Post
    You also checked the midi in and out settings for the vci at the top of the screen in traktors controller editor for the mappings...
    No. The only controller editor template I have is for my old S4. How can I get additional templates for the VCI-400?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi-J View Post
    You might also download midiox and want to check if your unit is talking any midi after all....
    I downloaded MIDIOX, but I can't make heads or tails of how to see if the VCI-400 is giving or receiving MIDI. Could someone walk me through how to do this or point me to where I can quickly learn how?

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Wizard

I was referring to the screen when you open the "preferences" in the main menu of traktor. Then in the list on the left you should find "controller manager" at the bottom of the list. Click it and next on the right find, locate and click the vci-400 in the "device" pull down list.
    Now check that "in-port" and "out-port" really point to the mid in and out channels of your vci.

Also make sure the "data send" LED on the right upper side of the controller flashes any time the vci is connected to your computer (both powered on of course) when you play with jog wheels, faders, buttons knobs etc. if this LED doesn't flash you have an issue with your controller its firmware, the driver on your PC or your operating system but not with traktor or the TSI file you are using within traktor. It should even flash when operating the controller without traktor loaded.

Well, I feel a bit silly. You were right. Thank you. After I set the MIDI-in and -out drop down lists to 'VCI-400' rather than the default 'none', everything was fine.

Tech Wizard

You are welcome

And btw i also made a mistake: the data send LED should always flash if the controller is operated and powered on (doesn't even need a computer connection)
    Last edited by Rudi-J; 12-28-2012 at 06:07 AM.